Road to 500rwhp

AlleyCat

Spray & Pray
Established Member
Im looking for some opinions on which way to go with my 01 cobra. I would like to make close to 500 at the wheels on spray. Currently I am running a universal NX wet kit with the 75hp jets on stock bottom end and stock pump / injectors. I would like to be able to run a 100-125 shot.
My question is what would you guys suggest from what I have been my options are

- terminator short block swap

- forged rotating assy w/ current aluminium block

- e85 conversion

From what I have read these 3 options along with a tune, and some supporting mods to run any of these are my best bet to be able to run a 100hp+ shot.

current mods - BBK TB, cold air, NX 75hp shot, 4.10's, BBK catted H pipe, Flowmaster cat back, and some 315 DR's
also non daily driven

Thanks in advance !
10472756_10202343348881422_5879978789812672142_n.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You don't want to go with an 03/04 shortblock. The compression is too low. If you're current engine is in good shape then have it rebuilt. Upgrade the rods and pistons and you'll be fine. You can even bump the compression while you're at it. I don't think you'll need E85 for 500rwhp on nitrous. But I've never ran it myself.

Mach828

Established Member
Upgrade the fuel system. Spray 100-150 shot on the stock motor with a good tune, rich and low timing. Once you get used to it, spray 175 shot and if it blows, rebuild the motor then.

No need for a built motor only to run a 100 shot. Maybe on top of a blower.

AlleyCat

Spray & Pray
Established Member
Thanks guys,
My first thought was to just get a tune and maybe some injectors and pump and run the 125 or 150 on it. I seem to have a hard time finding a shop in the Houston area that will either call me back or that is willing to put a tune on it. The advice Ive gotten from the couple I have called is to go e85 or terminator swap unfortunately

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I seem to have a hard time finding a shop in the Houston area that will either call me back or that is willing to put a tune on it.

http://dilusimotorsports.com/

Tell them Blake with the grey cobra sent you.

And anyone that would tell you to do a termi swap for the bottle is retarded. The ONLY reason to go to a low compression motor is boost, and in reality...4v fords love compression AND boost.

Last edited:

AlleyCat

Spray & Pray
Established Member
http://dilusimotorsports.com/

Tell them Blake with the grey cobra sent you.

And anyone that would tell you to do a termi swap for the bottle is retarded. The ONLY reason to go to a low compression motor is boost, and in reality...4v fords love compression AND boost.

Thanks Blake just spoke with Dilusi, I got some good advice and info from them but the price for a N/A tune and Nitrous tune would be around $1K plus a pump and SCT tuner.

Serious HP suggest e85 and would send me an estimate, but have yet to receive one. :shrug:

Houston Performance said they would not tune it and recommend to keep the 75 shot on it and not go any bigger

After two calls to KP racing they told me they are now only tuning new 5.0's from here on out :rollseyes

I guess Ill keep kickin the bushes and see who I can find

stroked mach

Established Member
I have see a lot of stock bottom end cars on a 150 shot with a good tune run for years, I have a 175 on my car and make 535 and 575 trq but im also cammed and with a stroked bottom end , either way grab a svt focus pump and go with a tuned 150 shot and have a new clutch put in lol

Mach828

Established Member
$1k for a NA and nitrous tune is a way too expensive.

If it was me I'd do the following and be at $1,000 total.

255lph pump - $120
fpdm and pump wire upgrade - $120
used cobra injectors - $120
innovate wideband - $120
xcal3 used - $200
vmp datalog tune - ~$300-400

01yellercobra

Established Member
He may not need the FPDM upgrade. I'm still on the stock single FPDM. But I would definitly do the wire upgrade. That was worth a 10% drop on my set up.

Users who are viewing this thread