ROAD RACING OIL AND COOLANT TEMPERATURES

02yellowgt

Found this info a while back in a search, but CAN'T FIND IT AGAIN.

So , what kind of oil temps are you seeing during a typical open track session? What kind of water temps are you seeing Also?

I know this is a pretty general question with car modifications and weather being Key. I 'm just trying to get a general ideal what I can expect to see from the car.

STeve

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by StevePoe
Found this info a while back in a search, but CAN'T FIND IT AGAIN.

So , what kind of oil temps are you seeing during a typical open track session? What kind of water temps are you seeing Also?

I know this is a pretty general question with car modifications and weather being Key. I 'm just trying to get a general ideal what I can expect to see from the car.

STeve

2.93 pulley and AFCO HE you would see 150's intake air temps after the inner cooler.

Water temps in the 220 range.

Oil temps.....not sure on these cars. I ran oil temps in my AS car (302ci) of over 320 ALL THE TIME and never ran into an issue with those temps. I ran Mobile1 20-50.

Darin

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
You can expect your engine to run very HOT. I have seen two 03 engines melt down on the track so if your going to play hard on the track be careful. This is what I have done on my car so I can beat it on the track.

Bigger radiator
Engine oil cooler(Install this weekend)
Bigger SC heat exchanger
Evens Coolant
Canton oil pan 9qt oil pan
Program the chip on the rich side
Program the fan to come on early
Diff cooler (next month)

:beer: :beer:

02yellowgt

I've got.
canton 7qrt pan.
removed complete ac system
remote filter mount with extra oil cooler
relocated heat exchanger to trunk area.

I'm trying to hook up warning light indicators for excessive heat in the cooling system for both the i/c and the radiator. and excessive heat in the oil sytem.

I'm thinking about getting the 220 degree temp switches warning for both the cooling and the oil.

Steve

03'Darin

Established Member
I've got.
canton 7qrt pan.

I'm trying to hook up warning light indicators for excessive heat in the cooling system for both the i/c and the radiator. and excessive heat in the oil sytem.

I'm thinking about getting the 220 degree temp switches warning for both the cooling and the oil.

Steve

I don't know how effective the HE in the trunk area will be unless you're using a much bigger HE and it has plenty of air flow. The temps I gave you are from a car with a larger radiator, no a/c, Canton pan and AFCO (front mounted) HE. The front mounted HE will get considerably more air flow than a trunk mounted one.

Also as 03 Cobra Toy stated go richer than the normal tune(around 11:1 at the tail pipe) and don't go to high on the timing.

Darin

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I've got.
canton 7qrt pan.

Steve

220 for cooling and oil system may be to low for OT...I think around 240 for the cooling system and 290 for the oil system would be a good temp for warinng lights...

just my .02

Don't forget about you Diff cooler mine runs about 195 deg just on the hwy

02yellowgt

Thanks for the info guys,
The rear HE ctually a full size radiator with dual 10 hayden fans. Air is going to be directed by 1/4 windows with air scoops. The rear license plate mounting area has been replaced with a open screen to remove the trapped air from inside the car. I'm hopefull this will keep a handle on the Heat exchanger problem.

I'm hopefull the cars cooling system doesn't pass the 220 mark. But if it does I sure don't want the light to come on at 240. at least at 220 I will be able to start keeping a eye on the actual gauge , maybe start looking for clean air to help before having to park it.

Cobra toy, I think you are correct on the oil system. even with a cooler running I/C a air mounted Oil cooler at 220 I think that light will be comming on alot. The only other temp sending unit I can find is 275

I'm not really worried about the diff yet. It's a live axle witha three link and watts link. I ran a live axle last year with the steeda 5/link and never had any problems from it. The car has turn downs in front of the axle .

03'Darin

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys,
The rear HE ctually a full size radiator with dual 10 hayden fans. Air is going to be directed by 1/4 windows with air scoops. The rear license plate mounting area has been replaced with a open screen to remove the trapped air from inside the car. I'm hopefull this will keep a handle on the Heat exchanger problem.

I'm hopefull the cars cooling system doesn't pass the 220 mark. But if it does I sure don't want the light to come on at 240. at least at 220 I will be able to start keeping a eye on the actual gauge , maybe start looking for clean air to help before having to park it.

Cobra toy, I think you are correct on the oil system. even with a cooler running I/C a air mounted Oil cooler at 220 I think that light will be comming on alot. The only other temp sending unit I can find is 275

I'm not really worried about the diff yet. It's a live axle witha three link and watts link. I ran a live axle last year with the steeda 5/link and never had any problems from it. The car has turn downs in front of the axle .

Any cooler with a live axle will be fine. When I was running AS I didn't see any other AS car running a diff cooler. I ran races as long as 1 hour and never had an issue with the rear diff overheating.

Do you have any pictures of your new toy??

Darin

P.S. You wouldn't happen to have good air bags left from that car would you??

02yellowgt

Darrin, last year With the live axle I simply put a vent line from the axle breather to a catch can in the trunk area. It worked and never made a mess under the back of the car.

Here is a link to the car. Mind you it's a work in progress. My first race is in march and the car will be ready eve nif I have to take a leave from work for a couple of weeks.

Sorry the air bags have been sold. I due have some misc peices lying around. You can get a ideal what I have left from the 03 cobra donor car.

Steve

www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=991559

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Your right about live axle not needing a cooler :) I was thinking you had the IRS still my bag....

03'Darin

Established Member
Darrin, last year With the live axle I simply put a vent line from the axle breather to a catch can in the trunk area. It worked and never made a mess under the back of the car.

Steve

www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=991559

Steve
That's the same thing I had done for a breather on my AS car. No mess and it never over heated.

Nice looking car!!

Do you still have the fog lights and brackets??

Darin

maoun

Established Member
i open track a lot....i can easily overheat the engine (240) if i try...

however, oil temps are not significant...especially with my canton oil pan

i have fluidyne radiator with distilled water & water wetter.

m.

02yellowgt

quote: however, oil temps are not significant...especially with my canton oil pan
CURIOUS, what kind of oil temperatures are you seeing? I'm hopping with front mount oil cooler and the canton pan I'll be able to keep a handle on the oil temperatures.

In your opinion, what would a oil temp have to get to be considered on the dangerous side?

maoun

Established Member
at least 180 to start worryin

i haven't seen mine above 160 at the WORST...and that's driving the shit out of my motor

m.

03'Darin

Established Member
quote: however, oil temps are not significant...especially with my canton oil pan
CURIOUS, what kind of oil temperatures are you seeing? I'm hopping with front mount oil cooler and the canton pan I'll be able to keep a handle on the oil temperatures.

In your opinion, what would a oil temp have to get to be considered on the dangerous side?

Steve,
once the engine is warm your oil temp will always run hotter than you water temp. With the 03' motor you have an oil to water cooler plus if you are running an addition oil to air cooler you should be able to keep oil temps within the 230-290 range.

The motor picture looks like it has the stock s/c pulley on it. Is that correct and what you will be running? The s/c pulley sizes have ALOT to do with the overheating issues.

Did you do the Apten cooling and or s/c mods??

Darin

Last edited:

venomizd93

Established Member
I don't know what cobras run at but in my buddys Z06 that has all the digital updates for drag racing numerous runs it was around 260-290 for the oil temp. I would venture a guess of 240+ for road racing coolant temp on a reasonable temp. day. Careful or it might .........:burn: and then you'll wanna......:xpl:

Users who are viewing this thread