Road racing K member?

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Time to get back to the hobbies.... I got through this summer now it's time to turn my attention to the Cobra....
I looked up K members on ebay and there seems to only be drag units for sale. 85% UPR units with an AJE thrown in. There was one add I found for Maximum Motorsports but it was from a guy with one hundred sales and an 88% satisfaction rating..... Not cool.

So my question is where is Maximum Motorsports K members? I also saw a Steeda unit that looked promising but it was $1G bare by itself. No Griggs either. Is no one running these on a road course? All the units I see are designed to be as light as possible and for going in a straight line. What's happened since I was away?

01yellercobra

Established Member
What do you mean by where are they? Last time I was on their site they had them for sale. I think Steeda was going to do another run, but it took forever to get the units.

I don't road race my car, but I currently have an MM unit. It's not too bad, but I'm not a fan of how it pushes the wheels out. I'm sure that's great for people that race, but I want my wheels inside my fenders. Currently BMR is working on a K member and there's a good chance I'm going to jump ship when they come to market with it. Plus it'll allow me to get rid of the oil filter relocation kit I'm not a fan of either.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
I'm building this car with the idea of taking it to the track on "driver education" days as well as spirited driving around back roads. I want something with this engineered into what ever I buy.
Team Z stuff is popular but it looks like everyone else's drag racing units. Is MM stuff over built? To me MM k members look like what a K member than can handle strong lateral loads during fast cornering should look like.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Griggs but haven't actually seen one for sale. I don't know if Kenny Brown ever made one but he made stuff for the Cobra IRS that looks like quality product.
I cant tell if Im making a mountain out of a mole hill or if nobody else is looking to do what I want to do with my Cobra.
Most "drag" K members cost $700-$800 for a well ordered set up with a amrs and coil overs etc. MM k member costs $700 ish just for the K member (which is ok if that's what it costs to make the product right) but Steeda's K member is $1G just for the k member. That seems a little high.
Going to keep my eye out for the BMR unit Slow mentioned...........

NastyNate420

Established Member
Im going with MM. I already have there full 3link rear suspension and its top notch!
MM has a deal going on this week 600 for the Kmember. I usually buy direct from them when they have deal of the day/week.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The MM seems built pretty well. I don't have a ton of miles on it yet. Probably 200 or 300. But no issues yet aside from the wheels being pushed out. The car handles awesome now. It did come off another car that pit a few hundred miles on it before it was parted out.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
98SaleenCobra,
How long have you had the Griggs on and how has it done with the pot holes and stuff on regular roads? Im interested in knowing if you ordered a whole kit or just a few parts too.
Have you run your set up on a road course or open track day?
From what I've seen on the internet the Griggs set up looks like the cheaper ones but with just thicker tubes, is that right? Its hard to tell from pictures..........

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Hey Slow,
I looked at the BMR units they make now for the newer Mustangs and it looks like quality work, do you know if BMR has a target date for release on the New Edge K member?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
98SaleenCobra,
How long have you had the Griggs on and how has it done with the pot holes and stuff on regular roads? Im interested in knowing if you ordered a whole kit or just a few parts too.
Have you run your set up on a road course or open track day?
From what I've seen on the internet the Griggs set up looks like the cheaper ones but with just thicker tubes, is that right? Its hard to tell from pictures..........

I've had it for about 4yrs now. It's a awesome k member and the control arms are legit. I live in ca so it sees some of the shittiest roads in America lol. It does just fine. It's def not the cheapest lol if anything with the control arms is more of the expensive ones. I pieced mine together since I already had coilovers caster camber plates etc.

It hasn't seen a road course yet. But it's seen some seriously nasty hill climbs. I had the choice of all the kmembers. I chose them. I run their entire setup too. They have won multiple championships as well. And u can upgrade to a sla with ease later on. Something u can't do with any of the others.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I run a full MM Max Grip setup on my 97. It rides rough on city streets, it's bearable on freeway driving and AMAZING at the open track. I couldn't be happier!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hey Slow,
I looked at the BMR units they make now for the newer Mustangs and it looks like quality work, do you know if BMR has a target date for release on the New Edge K member?

I really know what they've posted in the thread. I have some of there parts on the wife's 06 and I'm happy with them.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
97Casper,
Wondering which vendor you bought it from and how is their customer service and support. Any hang ups on the install? Any sledge hammering or drilling and grinding required? Did your alignment guy have any trouble getting it dialed in?

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
97Casper,
Wondering which vendor you bought it from and how is their customer service and support. Any hang ups on the install? Any sledge hammering or drilling and grinding required? Did your alignment guy have any trouble getting it dialed in?

Bought some parts used, some new directly from MM. Didn't need customer service. No issues getting it dialed in, no hammering/drilling/torching/grinding. Alignment shop had no issue getting it dialed in for track use.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Awesome....

I would check around for shops who do install them and from people in the area. I had a VERY well known Mustang suspension shop install my MM gear and told me the rear sway bar would be hitting my diff cover and I might notch the cover in order for it to work. Brought it to Houston to a friend to finish up at his shop and work out some kinks and he was quick to find what they had done wrong and corrected it. Awesome when a mid-twenty year old does better work and cares more about the car & driver than a 40-something shop owner just looking to make money.

Users who are viewing this thread