Road racers brake and tire ???

Mach0ne351

Established Member
stick with your Cobra brakes, but upgrade the Rotors to the Baer EiRadiSpeed 2piece rotors all the way around. then get a set of Hawk HPS brake pads. also upgrade your brakelines to Stainless Steal brakelines. that's all you need to do :) hope that helps!

marek

green99_svt

Established Member
ive heard that the front cobra calipers are prone to melting piston seals and the R brakes are the way to go up front. as they run cooler. as for a road race tire run the toyo proxes ra1 they stick like mad and the are available in numerous sizes

Mach0ne351

Established Member
ive never heard that about the cobra brakes. 00R brakes would be nice too..but get urself a set of front 2piece rotors if you go the 00R brake kit route.

marek

01L2Cobra

Banned
green99_svt said:
ive heard that the front cobra calipers are prone to melting piston seals and the R brakes are the way to go up front. as they run cooler.
Yup
I run Kumho ECSTA MX and love them, but my car is a daily driver too.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
Yup
I run Kumho ECSTA MX and love them, but my car is a daily driver too.

I'm gonna run the Ecsta MX's also for street/track duty this summer. I asked a similar question to this over in the Road Race forum and one of the regulars over there specifically told me to not to start off w/ really sticky tires because they would hinder you from learning good car control and where the limits are on your car. Also apparently super sticky tires don't warn you before breaking away rather suddenly where as lower gread tires squeal a bit and understear before letting go so you learn where the limit is better and have more time to react whne you're new.

Also, even though there is a great deal of debate on this, I'd stay away from cross-drilled rotors as they can crack around the holes and a few people have seen them fail altogether. Hawkes pads are supposed to be the shiznit though and braided steel brake lines keep your break lines from expanding under hard breaking and making your break pedal "mushy" fealing.

Good luck! I'm hoping to do some open track stuff myself this year too!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I also have the MX and like them, also when you add the SS front brake lines flush the system and put in new fluid. This will help to insure maximum braking. Another thing to think about is the cost of rotors, one R owner runs stock replacements on his R, mainly because they are $50-60 apeice from tirerack.com and he has several sets with him on a typical on track weekend, even with several sets of rotors the cost is about the same for a set of crossdrilled slotted rotors. 2881

01L2Cobra

Banned
If you are looking to just getting started and don't want to spend the money on the Brembo Cobra R's stay with what you have for now. I have the stock brakes and use Performance Friction pads from VatoZone. They don't sale them anymore however which is too bad because they came with a lifetime warranty. Pads like PF’s will kill your rotors and should only be used when you are at the track. Here is what they did to a friend of mines after he left them in for 3 months. The area show circled in green you can almost make out where the pads ate so much of the rotors away it created a lip.
rotor.jpg

Hawks are great but they will give your wheels cancer from all of the dust they generate.

Wickky

Established Member
yea i love those PFC pads.... much better then stock and 1/2 the price of hawk pads

ecphsca

Established Member
I assume you mean that you want to do track events with the Cobra. To race you have to meet scantioning body requirements -roll cages etc. I don't think that the 4V Cobra is competitive in the classes that it is allowed to race. Anyway, back to your question... (if I didn't forget it allready)
Personally I'd go with a set of dedicated race tires and rims. True, the ultimate grip race tires like the Hoosiers are best left for the experienced driver to use because they don't give much warning before they let go but a tire like the Toyo R1 is very forgiveing and will give you much more confidence (speed) than a street tire. Get them shaved to about 4/32 and they will last a long time. Stock brakes should be good. You could duct some air the them for cooling if you want. I use Hawk blue pads all the way around. (track only) and dedicate a set of rotors to the Hawk pads. (Just swap everything for street driving) If you have brand new rotors, condition them by utilizing a self cleaning electric oven. Put the rotors in the oven and run the clean cycle. This heats the rotors up to about 700 degrees and then allows them to slowly cool. Been using this method on my race cars for years and it seems to help.
If your new to track events try to seek out a good instructor, and then listen to what he/she has to say. Use their experience to increase your learning curve.

be safe,
be fast,
have fun!
joe

Users who are viewing this thread