Road Race Pan?

StangLoveR

Established Member
Hey all, this was mentioned a bit in another thread I started, but I thought I'd start a more in-depth discussion on the issue - I've been open tracking my car, and the car is really starting to go down the path of being a track car. I'm running stickier and stickier tires, and I'm about ready to put a "real" suspension on the car, so I'm going to start pulling some serious G's.

So, I think it's important to first cover the issue of oil starvation. Should I drop everything I'm doing and change oil pans STAT? Also please keep in mind that the car has a whipple on it, to the extent that affects oil starvation (I'm not an expert in this regard...).

Thoughts? If it needs to be done, which pans are suggested?

I think I read that the BOSS 302R pan won't fit on our Coyote directly? Anyone know for sure?

Edit: OK a minute on google answered my last question; looks like the 302R pan will fit. I'd be interested to know how involved the installation is.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DTL

Established Member
There are some guys going pretty dang fast on a stock pan. I'm not saying that it isn't a worthwhile addition, but if you're still on relatively stock suspension, I'd spend money there first.

That being said, The Ford pan you mentioned is the best looking one I've seen. My only gripe with it is the price. I know Moroso makes a pan for our cars and I think Canton may as well. The Mororso is probably more oriented to the drag race crowd. Canton pans used to have a bad reputation for being leaky, but I don't know if that's still an issue with them. I had one of their road race pans on a Camaro years ago and it worked well.

If you can find a deal on the Ford pan, go for it and let us know!!

01bluesnake

Established Member
I would highly recommend a pan with more capacity when revving higher than stock or using a high volume oil pump in conjunction as they have the tendency to run pans low and have caused motor failures. This is why your oil level also always need to be watched and checked before any outings, running it lower than normal can also create a failure and motor damage from the pump picking up air. On that note, the boss R oil pan would be my choice, but at a high price.

Users who are viewing this thread