Road Race Brakes?

Ford5.0Fanatic

Established Member
I have a 2013 Boss 302 that i am setting up for road racing applications and i was curious what everyone thought would be the best Brake Caliper and Rotor Set up for all four corners? Money isn't really an option luckily

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I have a 2013 Boss 302 that i am setting up for road racing applications and i was curious what everyone thought would be the best Brake Caliper and Rotor Set up for all four corners? Money isn't really an option luckily

Your street car came with the factory Brembo brake set up and you have a very heavy one piece rotor and pads that are only 17mm thick. This is not ideal for road racing or even open tracking.

You're going to want to go with the Brembo racing front brake set up that originally came on the Boss 302R and 302S models. You have a choice between the (14") 355mm that came on the R & S models or the larger (15") 380mm set up which is available for the Continental Challenge Series.

The pads on these calipers come new at a monstrous 25mm thick. The pads are also easily changed by releasing the pad retaining clip and the pads lift right out, no tools required. :-D

The rotors are two pc floating rotor rings with aluminum hats and they weight about 5#-6# each less than your OEM one pc rotors.

Here's what the calipers look like:

59mo.jpg

If you would like a price on one of these kits I can gladly get that for you.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

darreng505

Established Member
Two popular options.

1) Baer 6R brakes front/rear with 2 piece rotors. Will run you $8k+ for all four corners. Baer have a new R-spec rotor their just manufactured. Never tried it, but if you go with them be sure to request it as you won't find it online.
Brake Kits | Shop Kenny Brown

2) Brembo Race Kit. Tried and true. Proven on the club circuit.
Brembo 14" Extreme Racing Brake Kit S197 Mustang

There's also a 15" grand-am spec Brembo kit that is often paired with GT500 15" rear rotor kit for 15" all around. But its not really legal in most club race classes (which typically max out at 14"), so I passed on it.

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Just my 2 cents, I would look into better pads 1st and get a feel for the car with the stock calipers to decide how aggressive of a set up you want to upgrade to. I see lots of people spend lots of money on "track setup" parts that can't even out drive the stock set up. I would keep the car as stock as possible to start with and take a few sessions to decide what your driving dictates that needs to be upgraded.
Now if you already have gotten the feel forbthe stock set up.... then you can't go wrong with the suggestions above.

senderofan

Established Member
I swapped in a set of Carbotech pre-bedded padsin my 2013 Boss, XP 12 in the front and XP 10 in the rear. It has made a tremendous difference in braking. I can brake later and there is zero detectable fade....as far as my driving style is concerned. I did the recommended DOT 4 fluid change, dust shield removal and for this season....I'll have the front brake cooling ducts installed. If you plan on serious or several track dates per season...I'm sure the upgrades listed would be excellent. If just getting into the sport...perhaps the fluid /pad upgrade might buy you time to sort out your requirements.

Wayne

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Your street car came with the factory Brembo brake set up and you have a very heavy one piece rotor and pads that are only 17mm thick. This is not ideal for road racing or even open tracking.

You're going to want to go with the Brembo racing front brake set up that originally came on the Boss 302R and 302S models. You have a choice between the (14") 355mm that came on the R & S models or the larger (15") 380mm set up which is available for the Continental Challenge Series.

The pads on these calipers come new at a monstrous 25mm thick. The pads are also easily changed by releasing the pad retaining clip and the pads lift right out, no tools required. :-D

The rotors are two pc floating rotor rings with aluminum hats and they weight about 5#-6# each less than your OEM one pc rotors.

59mo.jpg

Those are the absolute brakes from hell, we've NEVER had an issue with them, at any track running for 2-1/2 hours.
Good call!

darreng505

Established Member
I'm here at VIR and the Roush team (former #61 grand am car) is here a couple doors down. They got PFC 15" calipers on, which I guess they also ran in grand am. Will try to get pics. But I think it's call the zero drag z54 brakes or something.

natedog_1959

Established Member
If money is no object, why not look at the Willwood carbon ceramic kit? They make a 14" kit for the front and rear of our cars. You could also look at the nascar spec raybestos billet calipers that they used on a 2013/2014 mustang build. If they are good enough for a 3800 Nascar at 200 MPH, they will probably work very well on a lighter club racer at 150 MPH.

Raybestos Brakes - Home!

Nate

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Are you going racing or HPDE track days? I just installed a Stoptech kit and one of the reasons I went that route is because the Brembo two piece rotors are stupid expensive.

Stoptech STR40 355 x 35mm, S197 Spec Mustang Brake System | CorteX RacingCorteX Racing

You can order this kit with the ST calipers and save some money.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
As some other said, I would have just started with good pads and fluid on dedicated rotors. Then I would install the brake cooling kit. Made a huge difference for me with dedicated PFC pads for the track, plus the fluid and cooling.

If I could find time to run track days more often the Brembo pro kit would be a fun upgrade, assuming I could get past the stupid expensive price tag.

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member

59mo.jpg

+1

I run these too, they are extraordinary!

file_zps5dlnthjc.jpg

mycroft

Established Member
If you really wanted to go nuts, go with the AP racing front and rear kits. You'll be looking at around $6k for both.

Last edited:

kbroush

Established Member
Drilled rotors are a lot more reliable if the rotors were casted with the holes and not drilled. Not many manufacturers do this process but I believe Porsche has been successful with it.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Drilled rotors are a lot more reliable if the rotors were casted with the holes and not drilled. Not many manufacturers do this process but I believe Porsche has been successful with it.

Porsche GT3 guys are cracking rotors at track days lol, go on the gt3 forums. Many swap out to blanks.

Also motorcycles have alot less mass to stop lol not a good comparo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread