Road Obstruction

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
I was driving across the Gandy Bridge from Tampa the other day and almost hit a ladder that had fallen off of a work truck. It had been run over once I think because all the rungs were crushed in. I tried to call Tampa PD to tell them but could not get through. I didn't think it was an emergency so wasn't going to call 911 but I knew it could cause a pretty bad wreck if it were to pop a tire at 55+ mph. Is calling the PD the correct course of action for this? Or is there a more qualified organization (like the D.O.T.)? I would have gotten it myself had it been late at night, but wasn't risking my life in rush-hour. Obviously it ended up getting moved but if I ever see something like that (or worse) should I call them?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
First off the Gandy Bridge can be a nightmare and I wouldnt suggest stopping at any time of the day especially at night.

Calling TPD or HCSO would have been fine. Actually it did constitute a safety threat so calling 9-1-1 and telling them of the circumstances would have been proper as well.

Last edited:

03CobraDude

FordSVTFan said:
First off the Gandy Bridge can be a nightmare and I wouldnt suggest stopping at any time of the day especially at night.

Calling TPD or HCSO would have been fine. Actually it didnt constitute a safety threat so calling 9-1-1 and telling them of the circumstances would have been proper as well.

I'm sorry, but how could that not be a safety threat. I'm going to assume that the speed limit is 55-60 mph there. A ladder could cause some serious damage to a car if ran over, could it not?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
03CobraConvert said:
I'm sorry, but how could that not be a safety threat. I'm going to assume that the speed limit is 55-60 mph there. A ladder could cause some serious damage to a car if ran over, could it not?

Because it says it DID constitute a safety concern and that is why I said calling 9-1-1 was appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread