Road Debris Ruined My Hood

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Just got back from flying the President's limos around the country during the election and jacked up my car on the first drive after being home. The wife and I went out last night and on the way home something hit the front of my car when I entered the Interstate. I though maybe a small piece of rubber from a truck got thrown up at my car. It made quite a loud bang that scared me. Didn't think that much of and drove home. Upon inspection at home I found that something heavy was thrown up at my car and splinted my hood. I have two marks about the size of a quarter that splintered out of my hood and one actually is damaged through the hood. I'm guessing a big bolt and nut were thrown up and hit my car. I'm so pissed right now. I'm going to go get estimates today and the insurance company is already notified. I think I need a whole new hood since the fiberglass is all splintered.

Lance:mj: :mj: :mj: :mj: :mj:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Sorry to hear. :(

You fly the presidents' limos around the country? I'm intrigued. :)

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
That blows. :bash:

I had a similar incident with my other Mustang. We were going 70 MPH and this lame-@ss utility truck in front of us decided to deliver to me a nice 6x6 ft piece of sheet metal. Sliced a gash in the paint the entire length of the car, cut one of the tires, and slammed right into the windshield of the car behind me.

I had to stop but the jerk just kept right on going. I saw him stare in the rear view mirror, too. :cuss:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Will the insurance company cover that type of damage? Mine refuses to cover anything like that unless it is debris from road or bridge construction.

NXSVTCOBRA

way back when i had an intrepid (yes i had an intrepid) a pretty big piece of metal from a scrap metal dumptruck fell off of it and hit my hood dented it, and cracked the top of my fender, the truck didnt wanna stop, so i cut him off and slammed on brakes, to make him stop, the driver didnt wanna get out so i had to open his door and pull him out, showed him the car and he took me to the back of the truck and pointed to the sign "not responsible for damaged........." luckily my brother was there to save me because i already had it in my mind to fu*k this guy up, and as soon as i read the sign i turned to swing at him and my brother pulled me back before i made contact.... turns out a cop across the street was watching the whole scenerio.... probably woulda had assault charges if i would've hit that guy......... but the car got fixed at his companies' expense and i got a profit :thumbsup:

spinscan

Established Member
Originally posted by Sprayed_Pony
way back when i had an intrepid (yes i had an intrepid) a pretty big piece of metal from a scrap metal dumptruck fell off of it and hit my hood dented it, and cracked the top of my fender, the truck didnt wanna stop, so i cut him off and slammed on brakes, to make him stop, the driver didnt wanna get out so i had to open his door and pull him out, showed him the car and he took me to the back of the truck and pointed to the sign "not responsible for damaged........." luckily my brother was there to save me because i already had it in my mind to fu*k this guy up, and as soon as i read the sign i turned to swing at him and my brother pulled me back before i made contact.... turns out a cop across the street was watching the whole scenerio.... probably woulda had assault charges if i would've hit that guy......... but the car got fixed at his companies' expense and i got a profit :thumbsup:

They can put any sign they want on their trucks, but they are responsible.
:cuss:

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Just talked to the insurance company and they will fix it. The local Ford dealer where I bought the car is one of there approved claims people and auto body shop so I'm all set as of this morning. It'll take a new hood and all the paint also.

As far as the limo stuff goes, I'm a C-17 pilot and we carry the presidents stuff all the time. His motorcade has to get to places he goes. We were really busy this year with the election. The cool thing that happened to me was that the President saluted me last week which really made my day. I know he was saluting me when he was waving to people because I was the only one in uniform and on the front row.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by RED2003COBRA
Just talked to the insurance company and they will fix it. The local Ford dealer where I bought the car is one of there approved claims people and auto body shop so I'm all set as of this morning. It'll take a new hood and all the paint also.

As far as the limo stuff goes, I'm a C-17 pilot and we carry the presidents stuff all the time. His motorcade has to get to places he goes. We were really busy this year with the election. The cool thing that happened to me was that the President saluted me last week which really made my day. I know he was saluting me when he was waving to people because I was the only one in uniform and on the front row.

Gotta love his campaign trail on our dime. :nonono:

Perks of the job. :lol1:

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
Gotta love his campaign trail on our dime. :nonono:

Perks of the job. :lol1:

For your info, Kerry's stuff was also transported by us. The Repulican National Committee and the Democratic National Committee pay for this movement not the taxpayers so don't get uptight about it. I'm just glad I didn't have to personally carry anything for Kerry.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Damn dude, that sucks. I know someone who had a Hot Rod Cover car (1st runner up for HROTY 1992). He took it on power tour, and got all these rock chips, so when he got home, he took it back to Posies Rods and Customs (shop that built it). Anyway, he's driving home, and a pipe falls off a truck in front of him, and smashed the grille, which was HAND MADE. It might've been an expensive street rod, but it got driven (20k on the odo).

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
For your info, Kerry's stuff was also transported by us. The Repulican National Committee and the Democratic National Committee pay for this movement not the taxpayers so don't get uptight about it. I'm just glad I didn't have to personally carry anything for Kerry.

Well that's good to know. :beer:

TnPaulMan

Banned

I am glad we have a president in office that respects the military. I know that most, if not all, of the military folks that the President comes in contact with gets saluted. I would be proud too.

Paul

hunterp

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, do military people salute the President? While he is the commander in chief, is he technically considered a civilian?

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member

Look at the bright side, the stuff didn't come through the windshield. A guy I work with was on vacation a few years back, and part of a rotor from a semi came apart and went right through the windshield, and out the back window. It missed both him and his wife by no more than a foot. Scary when you think about it.

Also as far as your job, were you the one that flew into Las Cruces, NM about 2 months or so ago and landed at our little rinky-dink airport? I heard the plane that landed out here busted up our runway pretty good. Not sure if it was his plane, or the cargo plane. I found it hilarious that nothing but prop planes come through this airport, and yet they still landed here! :D

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Originally posted by hunterp
Just out of curiosity, do military people salute the President? While he is the commander in chief, is he technically considered a civilian?

Yes. Military courtesy is rendered.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President is de facto head of the Armed Forces and US tradition dictates the military as being subordinate to civilian command.
The next rung on the ladder would be the individual Secretaries of the Army, Navy, etc .....then the Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Chris_H
Look at the bright side, the stuff didn't come through the windshield. A guy I work with was on vacation a few years back, and part of a rotor from a semi came apart and went right through the windshield, and out the back window. It missed both him and his wife by no more than a foot. Scary when you think about it.

Also as far as your job, were you the one that flew into Las Cruces, NM about 2 months or so ago and landed at our little rinky-dink airport? I heard the plane that landed out here busted up our runway pretty good. Not sure if it was his plane, or the cargo plane. I found it hilarious that nothing but prop planes come through this airport, and yet they still landed here! :D

WOW!!! A friend of mine also told me that I was lucky it didn't his the windshield. I wasn't in Las Cruces, NM but I was in Albuquerque, NM on Oct 31. We have to be careful where we go since many small airports pavement and runways can't support our weight. Our max takeoff weight is 585,000 lbs. Our empty weight is about 282,000 lbs so with a little fuel and cargo we can get heavy fast. I'm sure it was a C-17 that damaged the runway. We go to those small airports since we can get in there. Our landing distance can be as low as 1500 ft though our minimum runway is 3500 ft during peacetime. The only person that the president has to salute first is any Medal of Honor recipient which I think is very justified.

Users who are viewing this thread