Road Course with Stock motor and FI

TEG-84

Established Member
I havent ran much on a road course...but I was told by a well known tuner that road courses ran on a stock motor with FI will ruin that motor?! The tuner said if I didn't believe them check my compression after going a few laps around a course. Is this true..you cant do ANY road courses...even a few laps? :nonono:

Last edited:

Bgoins

Established Member
Couple years ago some Roush Stage 3's did real well at One Lap of America. Pretty sure they don't have forged internals.

TEG-84

Established Member
Good to hear..had me a bit worried as I would like to go to PPIR again this year!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yea increased temps can lead to detonation. E85 would be the best choice and a second choice would be some 100 oct fuel splashed in. I dont know about the octane boosters.

TEG-84

Established Member
Alright, thanks guys. Blazer, let me know what you guys can do for a fuel system please =)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

imeyers302

Established Member
I think the stock motor can handle some track days just fine. If it went through these test without problem what's a track day gonna do to it?

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords All Pages

"Besides meeting the performance goals the Coyote had to pass all of Ford's standard durability tests. These dyno sessions are incredibly brutal, always far exceeding what any rational customer would do to his engine, and occasionally surpassing what is physically possible in a car.

We observed some of this internal combustion water-boarding, and for anyone with a foot-pound of mechanical sympathy it isn't pretty. Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.

We witnessed another torture session where the engine was run at WOT for several minutes, the headers glowing just a hint of red, then the engine shut off and after several seconds of sitting, -20 degree ice water was forced through the cooling system. Frost formed on the test rig as the engine was about frozen to death, then the ice water stopped, the engine started and after a handful of seconds idling was taken back to max rpm, max load for another heat cycle up to 225 degrees. Each complete cycle takes about 10 minutes, and the engine must survive days of these non-stop thermal shocks.

Most incredibly, "It can't be on its last legs at the end of the test," says Mike. "It can't be that it hasn't seized yet, we need to see crosshatching on the cylinders, no full-face ring wear, leak down needs to be below, oh, eight percent; it has to be very, very functional and could go do it again, quite frankly."

Be assured, this is one team, and engine, that has gone the extra mile to produce a no-excuses Mustang V-8."

TEG-84

Established Member
Interesting, but I dont think it was tested with FI added which would put even more stress on it and as others have stated higher temps.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
For a road race application I would typically build a ultra conservative tune compared to what the car would normally run.

On average most cars going down the drag strip or driving around will make 1 - 2 pulls within a few minute span lasting from a few seconds up to maybe 15 seconds. Very short WOT pulls and back to cruising. With a road race application the car will be going to WOT fairly often so precautions need to be made to make the tune as detonation resistant as possible to prolong the engine life.

By pulling a few degree's of timing it ensures that when the air intake temps and the engine temp start rising you can keep the engine alive.

I wouldnt be afraid to race a stock engine with a power adder on it on a road course. I would just make sure the tune in the car is safe.

A good idea as well would be to add some octane booster to the tank prior to going and making a few laps just for added safety.

noldevin

Established Member
I'm interested in this as well. I like to hit the road course maybe 3-5 times a year, but want some more power for the street. I don't want to do anything to the car that prohibits me from a little road course action here and there.
So far I'm being pointed towards procharger.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
On the oil thread here I recall seeing that it's recommended to run a different viscosity of Oil due to the prolonged heat on the engine, so that's something else to consider aside from just the tune and octane...it's the same reason that the Boss and the Track Package GT come with 5W-50 factory instead of 10w30.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Ultra-conservative tune as others said and install a good oil cooler. Oil temps run high on an NA motor during track sessions, FI won't help things.

Users who are viewing this thread