Road Atlanta last weekend

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I made my second trip to Road Atlanta last weekend. It's not likely to be any more than a twice-a-year venue for me since it's a ~520 mile pull each way, but it's a great track.
The difference from June was, aside from MUCH more tolerable weather, Hoosier R6's. I first ran these in August at Roebling with less-than-stellar results because I didn't complete my own due diligence regarding tire pressures in a ~3900# car.
That was remedied last weekend. The tires wore very well and the car handled great. On Saturday, while tracking out far on the T10 gators, the vibration jarred the plastic insert in the upper, rubber air inlet to the TB loose. This caused a blockage and the car predictably did some weird sh*t. I found it Sunday morning and continued with the weekend.
Times were pretty consistent :39-:40's on a clear track, and I think I can get another 1-2 seconds out of it through T1, T7 and T12.
Sebring coming up next weekend!
EqGfci.jpg

vYR7YB.jpg

W8KD0k.jpg

[youtube_browser]8xBdZY2PPJY[/youtube_browser]

whiteGT

Established Member
Aren't the factory wheels lighter or do your tires not fit them?

I love Road Atlanta and typically drive it through MVP track time as they seem to have the lowest cost and by running intermediate can pass in the straights. It seems the typical weekend event most drivers are tired by Sunday afternoon leaving the track wide open for me and a few others so i suggest trying your best runs Sunday afternoon! Haven't tried Chin or Dale Murray track events there, but may sometime. On a 80F sunny day it seemed after 15 minutes of a 25 minute session i could feel supercharger heat soak and thus suggest trying for best lap times in the early part of your session. I feel the goodyears f1's were excellent under these conditions at 36 psi, but much cooler and without any sun warming the track they were dangerous! My 2014 is stock and i was running about 1 min 50 second laps, just having fun rather than doing my speeding on Atlanta interstates and on ramps, so you were moving! MVP offered free instructors to evaluate my drive line and perhaps you might pick up a second using a tip from a ride along?

krman68

Established Member
So you must have gone out cold at around 34psi? I am assuming u gained about 6 lbs. I'm still trying to get the optimal pressure for our cars. Last year went out at 31 psi cold and I gained about 6-7 lbs on my hot runs but noticed the I was running too low start up pressure

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
So you must have gone out cold at around 34psi? I am assuming u gained about 6 lbs. I'm still trying to get the optimal pressure for our cars. Last year went out at 31 psi cold and I gained about 6-7 lbs on my hot runs but noticed the I was running too low start up pressure
It will depend on different things....weather, track surface, track layout, etc. The LF loads up and gets hotter than the RF at Road Atlanta, so I started it out lower. I think I started out 31/33 front and 34/34 rear. Set your base pressure then hot pit and check them into the session.
Our cars are heavy, and they need more pressure. I will probably drop down a # all around this weekend.
S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread