Road and Track SVT Cobra review

Cobra'03

Established Member
They really liked it, and the pcitures are great! Torch red. No spoiler - they said they would have preferred to have one for "that last bit of attitude". They got a 13.3 at 114.5 - 70 degrees, 50% humidity. Traction was a factor - they eased off the clutch at about 1500 rpm. The brakes were very strong, stopping distance same as '00 R. Said it would toast a C5, and give a Z06 owner "something to think about". They liked the handling finesse of the IRS, and the car pulled .90g on their skidpad.

Some of the comment were similar to what I posted on Stangnet - shifter is notchy and imprecise, and brakes nicely linear and firm.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Also article on 50th corvette (our Cobras pulled better braking 60-0, higher skidpad, and faster accleration!).

Also rpeview of C6 Corvette - looks like a stretched new Z car a bit. They said it will have much improved aero, visible headlights, 380 HP since Chevy does not want gas guzzler penalties. They said there will not be another Z06 until 2006.

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
Do you know what the 60 to 0 distance was? Hot Rod's latest review posted it as 134 feet. Not good. It was a "rode hard and put away wet" test car though.

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmmmm

Interesting so many people complain about the shifter. I had the tri ax in my 01GT and I think the stock shifter in the Cobra is better. The notchy characterisitics of the stock shifter are very similar to the Tri Ax.

My only complaints

Seats uncomfortable for long drives and too quite

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I agree with silvercoffin I like the feel of the shifter it is a vast improvement over previous Ford factory shifters. I have yet to miss a gear and it is better then the Steeda Shifter I had in my 95 Cobra.

I like the seats they are a vast improvement over the previous models, but you have to fit the size they were designed for. The only problem I see is with the tighter fitting seats they really are not one size fits all. If your rear is the size or smaller then they were designed for then you are fine if not then they suck.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Snakebitten
Do you know what the 60 to 0 distance was? Hot Rod's latest review posted it as 134 feet. Not good. It was a "rode hard and put away wet" test car though.

I recall it was 123 ft. - actually less than the C5 tested in the same issue. The track, temp conditions make comparing one to another an apples and oranges thing, but this car has excellent stopping power by all accounts.

silvercoffin

Established Member
brakes

I dont notice any improvement in brakes. It is my opinion that the improvments only made up for the extra weight the car has. I dont notice any improvement compared to my 01GT Vert in brakes.

Cobra'03

Established Member
But doesn't the 03 Cobra weigh more than the 2000 Cobra R? Yet it posted the same braking distance as the R, suggesting it has at least as powerful or better braking system. And every test I have seen shows a GT (let alone a Vert) takes longer to stop than the '03. I dunno man, I think if I said the earth was round there would be a post sayin' it's flat...;-)

silvercoffin

Established Member
here we go again

COBRA 03 DO YOU EVEN HAVE AN 03?

I am simply stating MY OPINION. WHich is, after having a V6, a GT and now the 03, that it is MY OPINION that there is no noticable difference in the brakes. I am going by what I feel not what other people are saying!!!!!!!!!

THATS JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!! IF YOU DONT AGREE ITS OK!!

Cobra'03

Established Member
Why do you get all antsy and CAPITAL when someone questions or raises a point about what you said? You seem unable to accept the slightest feedback without going off.

Man, you are rude, I hope you are 18 years old, as that last comment suggests it is so - get off my case will you please? Exchanging posts with you is like talking to a carrot - you know what you know and that is the end of it.

It is not your business, but I have had a 2003 Cobra on order since Feb, expect delivery in two weeks. What does it matter to you?

Your opinions are certainly very interesting, and it is certainly of great interest to everyone that in your opinion, a Mustang V6 has the same braking performance as a car with massive rotors, dual pistons, etc, which has been measured scientifically to outperform it in every braking category but cost to manufacture. Last week, I drove a GT and a Cobra back to back, and in MY OPINION (see, I have a Caps Lock button too) the Cobra had better brake feel, being much more linear. Maybe we can discuss this over a beer someday, and we can swap SCCA Class-C licenses - you have one of those, don't you?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I am worried if silvercoffin is teaching my kids. He has the temperament and actions of my 6 year old and we wonder why our schools are going to hell.

Any engineer will tell you quite plainly that a 13in rotor with floating twin piston caliber is going to flat-out out perform a 10.8in rotor with a single piston. Due me a favor go to a local performance shop and ask to see a GT rotor and a Cobra rotor and just look at them the Cobra rotors are massive in comparison. The most significant gain you actually get with the Cobra set-up is repetitive stopping performance. Also I don't know about your car, but my car can lock the tires going over 30 mph before the ABS kicks in. I would like to see a GT perform that with 275 on the front.

I really should not have joined this disagreement I just hate teachers who know everything. Also what is up with your name silvercoffin are you planning on dieing or killing yourself in your car.

silvercoffin

Established Member
screw you man

Hey pal its you that has a problem with everything everyone posts and I have not been the only one that has had a problem with you and your posts so f off

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Who is everybody having problems with Cobra'03 or myself. I don't think it is Cobra'03 because I have not seen him have issues with anybody other then you. And I don't think it is me because I have not had a issue with anybody else. If there is anybody else that I have offended or upset I am sorry please inform me and I will correct accordingly.

Mowgli

Established Member
Ladies Ladies. Calm down. Lets not turn this fine and informative forum into a LS1.com over here.

Users who are viewing this thread