Ripped belt, new belt seems loose with thump r tensioner. Ideas?

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
I had a ceased drive bearing on my 2.8 kb few month ago, KB replaced it under warranty and rebuilt blower. I decided to get new blue belt and step up to thump r tensioner. Got it installed and tensioner bolt felt like it wasn't getting tight enough, I backed it out and tightened it afain, some what. Had car out for couple of weeks driving around and all is fine. One night doing some data logging, going through gears under wot and belt got shredded. Thought maybe it's sometging to do with tensioner bolt being not tight enough or belt too short. Odered a new size up blue belt, also drilled out and tapped tensioner bolt hole for a metal time sert. Put everything back together with bolt being fairly tight. Just went for a test drive and belt slipping pretty bad. It can easily be squeezed by hand and while doing it, I can hear some noise coming from tensioner.
I'm going to get home a throw another shorter belt I have to see if it will do anything. If not, going to try put back stock tensioner and see what's happening. I never heard a brand new thump r tensioner go bad. The rest of pulleys look straigh, there is no wobble in the belt.....not sure what to make of this. Car makes between 830-900 rwhp with 2.8kb at 25 psi peak. Somewhere around 800 rwtq... highly doubt that that's too much for a brand new thump r.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
The thumper is 10x better than the stocker, makes changing belts not such a nightmare. Is your setup the same, keep in mind the thump idler is 63mm vs the stock 75mm.

Users who are viewing this thread