RIP Troopers Johnson and Rich of the Alaska State Troopers

john_anch_ak

It is with a heavy heart that I am reporting that two of Alaska's finest were gunned down in the village of Tanana, Alaska on Thursday, May 1st while investigating a report of a suspect brandishing a firearm the night before. Alaska State Trooper Sgt. Patrick "Scott" Johnson and Trooper Gabriel "Gabe" Rich, both members of the Fairbanks Rural Service lost their lives while doing their job of protecting the villagers of Tanana. One person has been arrested and there are no other details at this time.

Please join me in praying for their families during this difficult time.

All Police officers across this great land put their lives on the line every day doing their best to protect us all. Many thanks to all of you and God Bless.

RIP Troopers Johnson and Rich.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
:( it takes some guts to be up there with backup hours, sometimes days away. Very sad to hear... Prayers to the families and department

john_anch_ak

RIP, it was probably over something stupid. I heard they had a father and son in custody?

Yes, they have a father and son in custody. The troopers went to Tanana to arrest the father, when they attempted to restrain him at the home a fight started and while the troopers were wrestling with the suspect his son came out of another room with a semi auto firearm and shot them 7 times. They did not even have a chance to reach for their own weapons. The son, Nathan, has been arrested for 1st degree murder and the father for the original charges of dui, pointing a shotgun at the VPSO, (village public safety office) and resisting arrest.

There was a huge motorcade here in Anchorage on the 3rd after their bodies were released from the coroner that was atteneded by all police officers, firemen, members of the military and many, many ordinary citizens showing their support. Their bodies were flown up to Fairbanks to be released to family.

I watched the court proceedings on the news when they arraigned the suspect and charged him with 2 counts of 1st degree murder and a couple of other charges that I can't remember. He is just a small native kid who was in tears and told the court that he was "sorry" when the judge asked him if he had anything to say. This is just a terrible, terrible waste that could have been avoided if the father had not resisted arrest.

Many thanks to the men and women of law enforcement who put their lives on the line every day across this great nation.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Thanks for the update. This really angers me, there was absolutely no need what so ever to use deadly force on the officers! There are a whole lot of family's and friends hurting over this non-sense.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
R.I.P., brothers. Time to walk a beat on Heaven's streets, you've done your time in hell.

musclefan21

Established Member
Yes, they have a father and son in custody. The troopers went to Tanana to arrest the father, when they attempted to restrain him at the home a fight started and while the troopers were wrestling with the suspect his son came out of another room with a semi auto firearm and shot them 7 times. They did not even have a chance to reach for their own weapons. The son, Nathan, has been arrested for 1st degree murder and the father for the original charges of dui, pointing a shotgun at the VPSO, (village public safety office) and resisting arrest.

There was a huge motorcade here in Anchorage on the 3rd after their bodies were released from the coroner that was atteneded by all police officers, firemen, members of the military and many, many ordinary citizens showing their support. Their bodies were flown up to Fairbanks to be released to family.

I watched the court proceedings on the news when they arraigned the suspect and charged him with 2 counts of 1st degree murder and a couple of other charges that I can't remember. He is just a small native kid who was in tears and told the court that he was "sorry" when the judge asked him if he had anything to say. This is just a terrible, terrible waste that could have been avoided if the father had not resisted arrest.

Many thanks to the men and women of law enforcement who put their lives on the line every day across this great nation.

Son should be publicly executed.

john_anch_ak

update for anyone interested. I read in the newspaper that the father and son were both charged with evidence tampering, (along with their original charges which make me sick). It seems that after Nathan shot both troopers in the back the father and son "staged" their bodies by removing their pistols from their holsters and placing them under the bodies in an attempt to show self defence. They also removed marijuana plants from the house thinking no one would see them do that.
The village of Tanana chiefs have voted to ban both the father and son fron the village. Of course the son wil never see freedom again. In the old days, being banned from your village meant certain death. Today it means that anyone banned from the village just becomes someone else's problem
It really sucks that Alaska does not have the death penalty so we will end up paying to house them in prison for the rest of their miserable lives. Those that do not believe in the death penalty seem to care way too much for the "rights of the criminal" and don't seem to care for the rights of victims and their families.
On a more positive note, the governor has directed the department of public safety to continue to pay the insurance premiums for the familes of the slain officers.

May 23, 2014, Juneau, Alaska – Governor Sean Parnell has directed the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to continue to pay health insurance premiums for the surviving families of DPS personnel killed in the line of duty. In the past year, four DPS employees have been killed in the line of duty: Trooper Tage Toll, Mel Nading, Sgt. Patrick Johnson, and Trooper Gabriel Rich.

“I have directed paid health insurance be made available to the survivors of our men and women who are killed in the line of duty,” Governor Parnell said. “While we will work next session to address the gaps in state law, I believe it is necessary to act immediately to secure health insurance for the survivors of these state heroes who have given their lives to protect the people of Alaska.”

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
People like this father and son really make me ill. Not only do you murder them, but then stage it to look like self defense, AND THEN move all the pot from your house.......

And people say smoking weed makes you smarter.......this story surely supports that theory.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Thanks for the update john, and the Governor doing the right thing! If that would have happened in my state we all know what the end result be "needle." It never ceases to amaze me how a lot of folks are willing to take up for killers and their rights. It's total BS.
That's a new one on me, "smoking weed makes one smarter." Prison is full of pos weed smokers! How smart is this?

john_anch_ak

I know that there a probably a lot of folks who would disagree with me, but I truly believe public hangings would be a great deterrent for those who think murdering someone gives them "street cred" or being "disrespected" or some other bullshit like that. Hanging by the neck until dead, kind of slow but would certainly make one think about what will happen if convicted of murder...

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I know that there a probably a lot of folks who would disagree with me, but I truly believe public hangings would be a great deterrent for those who think murdering someone gives them "street cred" or being "disrespected" or some other bullshit like that. Hanging by the neck until dead, kind of slow but would certainly make one think about what will happen if convicted of murder...

I'm all for public hangings, firing squads, or a good, long lynching for any person committing a crime like this, whether it's an LEO that is the victim or not.

musclefan21

Established Member

Why do you think crime is extremely low in Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc? There is FEAR in the hearts of people. They know if they do things they aren't suppose to, the consequences are big. That keeps them straight.

So, plus one for public hangings, etc. for such heinous crimes.

Users who are viewing this thread