RIP Tina Turner

VegasMichael

Established Member
She was great. She relinquished her U.S. citizenship for Switzerland several years ago I read. I didn't think European countries were very tax friendly so perhaps she had other reasons.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
She was great. She relinquished her U.S. citizenship for Switzerland several years ago I read. I didn't think European countries were very tax friendly so perhaps she had other reasons.
Just read that a minute ago, did not know.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
This was the reason....love Switzerland and want to go back.

VegasMichael

Established Member
This was the reason....love Switzerland and want to go back.

smell-agree.gif

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Legends never die.

She'll always be my all-time favorite. Even though I was born too late to really experience and appreciate her, I respected the hell out of that woman once I was old enough to understand music, performing, and what she went through. Her biggest accolades came during what was basically the second half of her career. When she started all over solo, she was already in her 40s. I think that's why - at least to me - her music doesn't seem old enough to match her age. Aside from the early stuff with Ike, of course.

Her concerts were true performances, not the watered down one-trick pony BS we see nowadays. Even at 60, she was still up there sweating her ass off, doing the same routine to Proud Mary that she'd been doing for decades. The backup dancers may have changed, but Tina didn't. I think I have every available concert DVD of hers to back that up.

She relinquished her US citizenship because she felt that she had a better connection with European folks. Something like she always felt more welcomed when she'd do shows over there. Or at least that's what she told Larry King in '96.

I believe she had a stroke a few years back and suffered some kidney failure. Her current husband donated one of his. Something like that.

Her last bit of "spotlight" was the fairly recent play entitled "Tina." Friend of mine who lives in NY had no idea I was a Tina junky. He was going on and on about how "I had no idea she did this or she did that" before I told him I've been a fan for about as long as physically possible. He gained a whole level of respect for her after that. It was pretty cool how dude's face lit up when he was telling me about the play.

In the end, she had become awfully sick of interviews asking the same questions time and time again. Ike this, Ike that, the decades of being on tour...she was done with that life. She just wanted to finally be able to relax and leave it all behind. She became very spiritual and meditated frequently. I take some comfort in that, hoping she was at peace when she left.

RIP
Anna Mae Bullock aka Tina Turner

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Love love loved her in Mad Max 3. My favorite out of the 3 movies.

"We'll, we'll, we'll. Ain't we a pair....raggedy man. (Laughing...)

Good bye soilder.

Users who are viewing this thread