Ring-and-pinion selection for HPDE/autocross turbo 4V?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I’m seeking your guys’ opinion on ring-and-pinion gear selection. Anyone have any experience with turbo cars on track (the type with corners)?

Here’s the run down on the car (haven’t got it completely together yet).

9.3:1 shortblock
Hellion single kit with billet wheel, ball bearing journal 76mm w/ .96ar
03/04 Cobra spec T-56
Complete Maximum Motorsports suspension in front with their control-arms, PHB and torque arm in the rear

Unlike most of you it seems, I’m not really a drag guy. I might go once or twice a year with buddies just for giggles and grins. My primary intention is to autocross and attend HPDE’s with the car on a softer tune and lower boost, maybe around 500rwhp or so.

To me, 3.55’s seem to be a good compromise between maintaining good street manners when out of boost and should be relatively reasonable for traction when I turn the boost up and feel like horsing around.

My lack of experience though is how these would perform on track or on an autocross course with this type of engine configuration. Any comments, or opinions on an alternative gear selection?

(Btw, I do recognize that I haven’t put together an engine combination that is ideal for being on a track, but my overall goal was to build a car that would be fun in almost any setting.)

Thanks, gentlemen!

Venomhiss

Established Member
Asking manual trans related questions that can't be resolved with the "go auto and don't look back" answer? Wrong forum lol.

Teej281

Established Member
You've got the wrong turbo setup for either auto-x or road racing dude. Turbo is too big. It will be too laggy for auto-x and track events and when you're coming out of a corner, that turbo will hit hard and might be tricky. I'd go with no larger than a 67-71mm turbo for this kind of fun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread