ring and pinion oil slinger

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
I am rebuilding my rear-end because the seal was leaking. Anyways the previous owner must have rebuilt the rear-end also and left some parts out. It is missing the pinion spacer and the oil slinger and all the bearings and races were shot. I have a rebuild kit that has a new pinion spacer but I don't know what to do about the oil slinger. Is this really needed. Will the local ford parts department stock the slinger. Thanks in advance.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I have accidentally left the slinger out before with no side effects. Whether they do anything in the first place, I'm not sure. Ford dealer might have one.

www.ringpinion.com

They might too. They have a ton of crap. And when you say pinion spacer....are you talking about the crush sleeve? And saying that there was no crush sleeve when you took it apart? :dw:

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
Yup there was no crush sleeve when I took it apart. I could have taken the pinion nut off with a 1/4" drive ratchet. I drove it this way for 30,000 miles. Previous owner must not have known what he was doing.

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
The gears did not look to bad. They had a good pattern but there was a small chip on the ring gear. I used to hear a thud when I went from forward to reverse. I guess it was my pinion moving back and forth.

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
In case anybody is wondering I just ordered another slinger from the dealer. It was like a $1.69. I did not want to take the chance of not buying one and then having redo the work because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread