Rims question

Serenitycyclist

Hi Guys,

I'd like to say HI because this is my first post! anyway.....

I just bought a '99' black Lightning in rough shape, and I need a little help. I need 2 front rims (and tires) to put on it so I can drive it home. My question is - will the mags off my other '99' f150 fit the Lightning ? I was wondering if the calipers would clear the rims I want to use.

thanks, Steve from Fulton, NY

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
They should, the bolt lug sizing changed in the 01/02 year so as long as you are fitting a 12mm stud with a 12mm lug hole (same year) then you should be good. I run a set of 16" wheels on my Lightning for winter use and they clear fine, the stock steel wheels and/or spares will fit as well.

Serenitycyclist

thanks Darren, that is good to know because i'm picking the L up today. I'll take 2 of my 17" stock mags with me and I should be set.

thanks again, Steve

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Lug size has nothing to do with it. You can put an 04 wheel on a 99 and vice versa. I ran slicks on 16" spare wheels when I first got mine with no problem.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Are you certain that pre-01 and post 01 wheels are interchangable?

From the FAQ:

4) What is the difference between 99-00 and 01-up L's?
99-00:
They came with a smaller intercooler than the 01+ which was prone to leak, if the owner took advantage of it they were replaced with newer 01+ intercoolers under factory recall warranty so check into yours if unsure.
They had an 80mm Mass Air Flow Meter or MAF.
5x135mm wheel bolt pattern and 12mm studs up till 11/99.
Rated at 360 hp and 440 ft.lbs.trq. from the factory-engine not at the rear wheels. There are some other cosmetic differences also but that can be found later.

99 to late 02 have 3-4 threads in the cylinder heads for the spark plugs, 02+ have 8-9 threads and are less prone to spark plug blow out.

Rear gear ratio 99-00=3.55
Rear gear ratio 01-04=3.73

The driveshaft difference. 99-00 3" steel. 01-up 5" aluminum.

01+:
Bigger/upgraded intercooler.
90mm MAF
5x135 wheel bolt pattern with 14mm wheel studs.

Users who are viewing this thread