Rig a way to temporarily quiet exhaust

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Long story short, I'm going autocrossing this weekend and the venue rules say you have to be under 96 db from 50ft away. With my O/R h-pipe and MAC catback I'm betting I'm at or above the limit. Been wracking my brain to figure out a nice, easy, cheap way to quiet the exhaust for the event. I know Bassani has inserts but they are a bit pricey for once a month use. I've read some people in California stuff steel wool in their tailpipes to pass inspections, but I'm not sold on that idea. I'm sure something can be rigged with Home Depot/Pep Boys parts.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
By my stock 01 catback and swap it in when needed?????? LOL.

I know that setup is loud, but I'd be surprised if your car is that loud at 50' on an Autocross. You won't be spending a lot of time at redline which is where you would make the most noise (I think).

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Yeah, I just don't want to get a DNF for the event after the first warning. In comparision 96 db would be somewhere between an alarm clock at 90 db and a lawnmower/jack hammer at 100 db. Now if you take the jack hammer/lawnmower example you have to scream to be heard over the noise, I really doubt you'd have to scream to be heard over my exhaust.

totheduals

Established Member
Try a run and if they slap your PP then put the steel wool in the pipes. It'll sound like sh it but be quieter

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Trade ya midpipes!!

If 96 is like a lawnmower, then there is no way at all your car at 50' is the same loudness as being right next to a lawnmower. Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think you'll be fine. Maybe you can borrow a midpipe and swap if need be?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Call Bassani and see if they can overnight a pair of baffles to you.

They should be about $70-75 for the pair.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Yeah they just slide into the tips, a guy in my SCCA region runs a O/R H and Magnapacks with the Bassani inserts (which only drop maybe 6 db) and he is at 94 db. I've heard Magnapacks before and there is no way a MAC chambered muffler is that loud.

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
do they really harass for the noise??? i know my last car had a straight pipe set up and at wot was damn loud, i never got bothered when i auto xed

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Some regions/venues have noise limits to ensure a friendly relationship with the neighbors. Either way I'm not so concerned about this since a guy in my region said he doesn't run mufflers on his Z06 and passes the sound restrictions.

Users who are viewing this thread