Richard Dawkins examined...

His Grace

Genesis 1:31
Established Member
Topic; Richard Dawkins and the Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve

After receiving a few messages from members asking my input concerning the video listed below, I figured I might share some of my research and opinion on the subject. This is not meant to offend or portray my opinion as fact, but mere observation and input from the other side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cH2b...#91;Transcript

In this video, Richard Dawkins and a small team of anatomists dissect a young giraffe that died at the zoo. The purpose of this video is to impart Dawkins views of evolution to the students watching by revealing the length and in his opinion, unintelligent design of the recurrent laryngeal nerve (RLN). The video is quite interesting, to see the neck and upper chest cavity of a giraffe cut open anteriorly as to view the vessels and anatomy of the neck.

Dawkins continues to narrate as the anatomist dissects the vagus nerve (RLN innervates away from the vagus as it circulates around the aortic arch) apart from the muscles and fascia in the neck. He makes a very simple and visual point; how could this be the product of intelligent design?

From an outsider looking in, it is obvious to the naked eye that the actual laryngeal nerve would only need to be about 4 to 8 inches, enough to span its origination at the base of the brain and extend to its destination, the larynx. So Dawkins takes off with this, and in all knowing manner, states that this is irrefutable evidence for an unintelligent design.

Furthermore, Dawkins begins to state how this proves, through the anatomy of this nerve, that we evolved from fish (goodness) and reveals pretty little pictures of fish turning into man. In the book, Ernst Haeckel; Evangelist for evolution and apostle of deceit, one can read about Haeckel’s discredited embryonic recapitulation theory of which Dawkins agrees with, stating that it makes better sense if we evolved from fish but there is a small problem with that….

As I was sharing with a fellow member a little while back, evolutionists such as he, believe that amphibians evolved from a Rhipidistian fish, something like the coelacanth. It was believed that they used their fleshy, lobed fins for walking on the sea-floor before emerging on the land. That was shortly lived, for in 1938, a living coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae) was discovered and it was found that the fins were not used for walking but for deft maneuvering when swimming. Its soft parts were also totally fish like, not transitional (Denton, 1997, p. 157).

One of the books I am reading, Teaching about Evolution, reveals on page 39 that the earliest amphibian, Ichthyostega, is hardly transitional, but has fully formed legs and shoulder and pelvic girdles, while there is no trace of these in the Rhipidistians, hmm, interesting, oh well, who cares about facts.

Veering off track, let’s get back on topic.

Concerning the RLN (Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve), Hawkins writes;

“It is a branch of one of the cranial nerves, those nerves that lead directly from the brain rather than from the spinal cord. One of the cranial nerves, the vagus (the name means ‘wandering’ and is apt), has various branches, two of which go to the heart, and two on each side to the larynx (voice box in mammals). On each side of the neck, one of the branches of the laryngeal nerve goes straight to the larynx, following a direct route such as a designer might have chosen. The other one goes to the larynx via an astonishing detour. It dives right down into the chest, loops around one of the main arteries leaving the heart (a different artery on the left and right sides, but the principle is the same), and then heads back up the neck to its destination.

“If you think of it as the product of design, the recurrent laryngeal nerve is a disgrace. Helmholtz would have had even more cause to send it back than the eye. But, like the eye, it makes perfect sense the moment you forget design and think history instead.”
(Dawkins, 2009, p. 356)

Just in case it is not known here, in 1837, Richard Owen had also dissected a giraffe making note to the length of the vagus/laryngeal nerve. The only difference is, Owen didn’t reject the idea of a designer. With the help of world renowned textbook, Grays Anatomy, it was a wise choice for Owen to withhold jumping to conclusions such as Dawkins does. Well of course there is a reason for the length of RLN;

2r2xdzk.jpg

"As the recurrent nerve hooks around the subclavian artery or aorta, it gives off several cardiac filaments to the deep part of the cardiac plexus. As it ascends in the neck it gives off branches, more numerous on the left than on the right side, to the mucous membrane and muscular coat of the esophagus; branches to the mucous membrane and muscular fibers of the trachea; and some pharyngeal filaments to the Constrictor pharyngis inferior" (Gray, 1918).

It is obvious the RLN which branches off the Vagus nerve as it sweeps under the Aortic Arch, innervates the heart, esophagus, and the trachea. It looks to me that Dawkins didn’t research to well, instead he made an assumption to fit his theory. How can he make such an assertion?

“This is proof of unintelligent design”

Excuse me? Let’s see you do it. It looks to me as if the Designer was able to be very efficient with one of the largest nerves in our body.

If one knows Dawkins well, he refers to the history of our body as related to evolution. But this is not hard to understand that during the embryonic stage of our life, that as our chest cavity grows further away from our brain, then the nerves will need to accommodate this growth, just makes me want to take a step back and say “What a beautiful and genius creation” and furthermore what an awesome Architect who could design our bodies to adapt to growth.

Dawkins at one time impressed me, I enjoyed his style and delivery, but as I began reading more of his literature, and some issues concerning his interview tactics while attacking Christianity, it became apparent that he was not all that I had him to be. He has been approached by many profound and well known Creationist. One of whom, I mention below.

Bestselling author Dinesh D’Souza, author of What’s So Great about Christianity, wrote an open letter to Dawkins addressing Dawkins eagerness to lure non scientist Christians on his television shows and book interviews. In D’Souza’s letter, he wrote;

“To be honest, I find your behavior extremely bizarre. You go halfway around the world to chase down televangelists to outsmart them in an interview format that you control, but given several opportunities to engage the issues you profess to care about in a true spirit of open debate and inquiry, you duck and dodge and run away….

“If you are so confident that your position is right, and that belief in God is an obvious delusion, surely you should be willing to vindicate that position not only against Bible-toting pastors but also against a fellow scholar and informed critic like me!

“If not, you are nothing but a showman who takes on unprepared and unsuspecting opponents when you yourself control the editing, but when a strong opponent shows up you manufacture reasons to avoid him."
(D’Souza, 2008).

Again, If you were able to read through all this and keep a sane mind, then great. I just want to throw this out there that not everything one reads is always backed by sound evidence, everything must be tested, and I mean that on both sides of the fence; Evolution and Creationism.

I am Christian, and I have no doubt in my mind of the glorious powers my Creator has, nor am I ignorant of His great love for us. But in my research, I try to stay true and fair, because in the end, if my belief in Christ as my Creator, Lord, and Savior are accurate, then I have nothing to fear in my studies of what I believe and what comes forth, no need to be biased (unfortunately we are human, so a little bias is always present).

His Grace

References;

Dawkins, R. (2009). The Greatest show on earth; the evidence for evolution. New York, NY: Bantam Press.

D’Souza, D. (2008). The route of new atheists, Vox Popoli, 21 July 2008.

Gray, Henry (1918). Anatomy of the human body. 5j. the Vagus Nerve. See online at (IX. Neurology. 5j. The Vagus Nerve. Gray, Henry. 1918. Anatomy of the Human Body.).

M. Denton, footnote 13, p. 157,; see also W. Roush, ‘Living Fossil’ Is Dethroned, Science 277(5331):1436, 5 September 1997, and No Stinking Fish in My Tail, Discover, March 1985, p. 40.

Last edited:

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
do you think that evolution and the bible can coexist? if i remember correctly, it doesn't state anywhere in the bible that evolution wasn't the procedure used. so it could have been the method, yes?

s_x_i

Established Member
Which gave us a retard frog-sqirrel, and then *that* had a retard baby which was a... monkey-fish-frog... And then this monkey-fish-frog had butt sex with that monkey, and that monkey had a mutant retard baby that screwed another monkey... and that made you!

</south park>. :coolman:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Let me get this right. An atheist can be proven wrong through science and does not want his ego hurt. A religious person can never be wrong because there is no scientific method of proof for their tribal beliefs.

Whew, I am glad this atheist has no one to represents me. It is one scientists views vs. another. Scientists love to prove other scientists wrong, this is an ego thing for small people. Maybe that is why the OP is nut hugging science now?

Last edited by a moderator:

His Grace

Established Member
Hey Bud,

I dont know your first name, but I have known you on this site for quite some time. To answer your question, If we are going by the Word of God, it plainly states that God created every species to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:20-25 states that God created every species to its own kind. Every living creature after its kind. He said let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind (species).

I know my friend that the world and even some Christians will encourage your belief that even as a Christian, it is wise to believe that God created evolution. But I am telling you, moreso, the Bible states, that this is not the truth. Forget anything I tell you, but take the time, to read the manual. Genesis chapter one is a good start.

You asked me a very legitimate question, and I understand your thinking. Some Christians over time begin to compromise, and give in to the theory of evolution, giving up the truth for mere secular satisfaction. There is actually no proof, solid proof that evolution has ever happened. Yes, as Christians, we do believe in adaption within a species, but not species to species evolution.

I have debated with many theistic evolutionists, and though we believe in the same Creator, they have chosen to take the path more easily traveled concerning our origins.

Yes, its easy to believe in evolution, it takes alot of the stress and worry of your thinking process to just let go and say yes, I believe. But the truth is, there is no factual proof, it is a theory, full of more holes then a sponge.

Have a nice night.

do you think that evolution and the bible can coexist? if i remember correctly, it doesn't state anywhere in the bible that evolution wasn't the procedure used. so it could have been the method, yes?

Last edited:

His Grace

Established Member
Let me get this right. An atheist can be proven wrong through science and does not want his ego hurt. A religious person can never be wrong because there is no scientific method of proof for their tribal beliefs.

Whew, I am glad this atheist has no one to represents me. It is one scientists views vs. another. Scientists love to prove other scientists wrong, this is an ego thing for small people. Maybe that is why the OP is nut hugging science now?

Dale, I honestly desire to converse with you concerning these topics, but it is my understanding that you have closed all avenues to an open conversation on this topic. But to correct you, many religious people have been wrong. Many have been corrupted, many have made bad choices. Have a good night Dale.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
. But the truth is, there is no factual proof, it is a theory, full of more holes then a sponge.

Have a nice night.
A lot like religion, except one minor detail. The evolutionist is more likely to follow evidences vs tribal gawd theories. Your issue lies in the "infallibility of gawd" or faith of man's collections and consolidations of gawd holiness through the canons.

Sponge meet bottomless bucket.

"have a good night" liars are fryers! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

His Grace

Established Member
Last edited:

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Dale, I honestly desire to converse with you concerning these topics, but it is my understanding that you have closed all avenues to an open conversation on this topic. But to correct you, many religious people have been wrong. Many have been corrupted, many have made bad choices. Have a good night Dale.

This is where you are right based on your beliefs. The other will also think he is right based on his beliefs. Many out there think you are corrupted based on their belief of your beliefs.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
But the truth is, there is no factual proof, it is a theory, full of more holes then a sponge.

Have a nice night.

this has been my stance on it from basically the first time i learned of the theory. but i was interested in your thoughts on whether you think the bible explicitly supports or denounces evolution. and after being reminded, i would have to agree with your conclusion.

7.62x51

Established Member
The Evolutionary theory is man's best attempt to come up with some explanation of why we are here, and how we got here - while completely excluding the possibility of God.

You see, it makes people feel better about themselves if they have some type of explanation to determine that there is no God, and we are in complete control of our own lives, and are in no way accountable to God. But in reality - every knee will bow in the end, and everybody will be accountable before God. Oh how I fear for the man whom God says to him, "Depart from me, I never knew you" on judgment day.

When you really start digging into the 'Evolutionary Theory', you quickly realize that more faith is required to believe in such a thing than the faith that is required to believe that God created us. It's completely ironic.

Even from an unbiased standpoint, you can make a very serious and compelling argument from a scientific perspective to account for the Great Flood, and a divine creation. But of course something this ridiculous could never be accepted by the "wise" men of this world.

The proof is all around us, you just have to look for it. Our existence, the stars, the moon, the sun - the perfect astrological balance that maintains our life. You would have to be completely blind to reject the magnificence of our creation. Sadly, most people are.

Just watch, 30-40 years from now, Evolution will be looked at as a dark time in scientific history, and I hope not all credibility is lost because I believe science has done some absolutely incredible things, just not in regards to evolutionary theory.

Last edited:

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Found this interesting.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xePj8rANrA&feature=related"]YouTube- Evidence For Creation (Part 2) Giraffe[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread