Revving to the Moon?

Electric994V

Established Member
What would it take to be able to safely rev up to 8000?

I'm just not to familar with the rev capability of our motors, as far as 7500 and up.

I know that must street motors need to be stronger down low, but It seems like when I pull on an LS1 it's usually up top.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
gears, lightweight drivetrain parts, the correct intake w/ 5-6inch runners, and the valvetrain to handle it, the stock springs will float a valve around 7300+, not to mention some of the computer problems with trying to spin to 8K. Really for a street car its not needed, besides C heads slow down at that rpm anyway. Today you can make 400++rwhp under 7500 and still have it plenty streetable.

Fourcam330

Established Member
8000rpm reliably will require a built shortblock with at least 4340 forged H beams (preferably billets) with ARP 2000 7/16" rod bolts, a quality dual spring valvetrain with preferably Ti locks/retainers (Crower singles are NOT 8000rpm springs), the obligatory (dual spring kit necessitates) Ferrera or other custom SS valves, and a great engine builder.
To make power up there you'll need a ~7" runner (FR500 or hacked/ported 5" 99/01 Cobra), cams, at least basic clean up porting (short turns, exhaust, VJ), pistons with more compression, and of course all of the bolt ons including full LT exhaust.
As Ron stated you can have 400rw @ 7500rpm or under, but that's not to say you can't have more by going a bit higher. Just like speed, rpm costs $ to do right.

Electric994V

Established Member
I was told the FR500 intake a waste if your not running way up there in terms of rpms?? I'm just trying to determine if it's worth the ability to rev in a N/A car. Sounds like a N/A project is quite challenging...

Pulling on an LS1, top of second and third. (mind u that we r talking from a roll, Bolt-on LS1)

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Electric994V said:
I was told the FR500 intake a waste if your not running way up there in terms of rpms?? I'm just trying to determine if it's worth the ability to rev in a N/A car. Sounds like a N/A project is quite challenging...

Pulling on an LS1, top of second and third. (mind u that we r talking from a roll, Bolt-on LS1)

On a stock shortblock motor, you're not going to see the full benefit of an FR500 intake; it really needs more C/R and rpm. You have to remember that at 6300rpm a stock 99/01 Cobra or 03/04 Mach intake is dead in the water, if you want to make power after that (the stock cams are capable of it btw) you're going to need a different intake.
It's never been as easy to make power N/A as it has with a power adder, but if you're looking for dead nuts reliability, and value it over spending more $ up front, it's the only way to go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread