Reverse= Grinding gears

joed2nd

Established Member
I have noticed in my 99 cobra that when i first start my car and need to put it into reverse it sounds like I am grinding the gears. But if i would put it in another gear first and then put it in reverse it is fine. Does anyone else have this problem?

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Same here. When it (I expect that it will) breaks I'll replace with a T56. Until then I'll do the shift first then reverse procedure. Mine have also stuck in 5th a couple of times so I guess the end isn't all that far away...

slick4_6

Established Member
I have noticed in my 99 cobra that when i first start my car and need to put it into reverse it sounds like I am grinding the gears. But if i would put it in another gear first and then put it in reverse it is fine. Does anyone else have this problem?

There are no synchro's in reverse.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I usually have to go from 1st to reverse a couple times if I'm at a dead stop. Whenever I back my car into parking spaces I usually go into reverse from 1st when I'm still rolling forward slightly. Also when I park in the garage I leave it in reverse so I don't have the grinding issue trying to back out.

99blkGt

Established Member
according to some repair manuels if u shift from 1 to reverse it will most likly be the clutch that is bad

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
There are no synchro's in reverse.

QFT. You can also just wait a few seconds after pushing in the clutch before trying to put it in reverse. And if it won't go into reverse, I just put it in 5th and then reverse. If that doesn't work, let the clutch out in neutral to get things spinning, hit a forward gear to stop the guts spinning and then try reverse again.

Users who are viewing this thread