rev limiter, backfire, dead. Car won't start need help!!!!!!!!!!!

honestabe03

Established Member
Racing my buddies ls2 gto, hit rev limiter, it backfired, then as we were coming up to a red light my brakes lost power, as soon as i got to a complete stop it died, and would not start. towed back home, reset computer, charged battery, nothing, just turns, but was blowing fuel out of left tail pipe. Held throttle down and cranked and car started, tons of smoke came out of left tail pipe along with fuel. Did noid test, checked spark, pulled spark plugs in left bank and they were saturated in fuel. Pulled sct chip out of computer and it starts right up, runs like crap, rich in both banks, but it ran. So i thought it was the chip, went to tuner got a new chip flashed with the old tune, plugged it in and again, it won't start. He is saying it is the injector drivers in the computer, but i'm confused why it runs without the tune in it. Left bank is running super rich, could it be FRPS? Please help

ttk53

Established Member
Racing my buddies ls2 gto, hit rev limiter, it backfired, then as we were coming up to a red light my brakes lost power, as soon as i got to a complete stop it died, and would not start. towed back home, reset computer, charged battery, nothing, just turns, but was blowing fuel out of left tail pipe. Held throttle down and cranked and car started, tons of smoke came out of left tail pipe along with fuel. Did noid test, checked spark, pulled spark plugs in left bank and they were saturated in fuel. Pulled sct chip out of computer and it starts right up, runs like crap, rich in both banks, but it ran. So i thought it was the chip, went to tuner got a new chip flashed with the old tune, plugged it in and again, it won't start. He is saying it is the injector drivers in the computer, but i'm confused why it runs without the tune in it. Left bank is running super rich, could it be FRPS? Please help

Did you check the FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure sensor)? And see if your oil smells like gas. change FRPS and oil and be on your way.

honestabe03

Established Member
Took the FRPS off, left the vacuum line on put the chip back in it and it started right up. Thanks man. Now to find a FRPS

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Your local Ford dealer should have one in stock for about 105$ or so. From what I have read people recomend changing the oil after the FRPS blows...

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
Definite oil change if it is in fact your FRPS. The gas thins the oil down to a point that provides very little protection. Don't run it if you don't have to until you get that oil/gas out. Best of luck.

honestabe03

Established Member
Glad i posted this first, i was about to drop a lot of money on a computer that i didn't need. Cost $92 for the FRPS. Crazy how much that little sensor can mess the car up, thanks for all the input, oil change tomorrow.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
This is an extremely well-known issue.

Sorry to say, but your tuner doesn't appear to be very familiar with these cars....

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I think the turner can do all he can to to alleviate fuel spikes but won't a mis-shift cause a fuel spike as well?? Any how if you have done the ppr delete?? (the little white box attached to your stock fuel pump hose) your car will be more prone to fuel spikes if you do not upgrade your lines.

03sm3341

Established Member
To the op you might want to pick up the "the disc" from kenne bell it helps keep you from blowing FRPS. I've gone through 3 now the first 2 blew right atfer a bounce off the revlimiter. The 3rd ones going strong with the KB disc installed

Users who are viewing this thread