Returning SCTX3 to stock?

04nccobra

Established Member
I have a question. I have a SCTX3 with a custom dyno tune as well as a canned e-mail tune. I am selling the car but would like to keep the tuner to use on a future vehicle. The car is modded and I can't return it to the stock tune when it is sold. Am I out of luck on keeping the tuner and having it work on another car?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
If you can't return the tune back to stock it is best to sell it with the car and just get another tuner.

04nccobra

Established Member
Thank you,

I will leave the custome tune in the car, and just try to sell the tuner. I guess SCT will unlock it for $150.00.

Last edited:

MickeyD

Established Member
or see if the person buying the car also wants to buy the tuner for it for an extra couple bucks? And let them know that there is a performance tune on the car.

Franchi

Established Member
If you are leaving the custom tune on, the tuner will be locked/married to that car.

You could sell the locked tuner online and get $100 to $150 for it or just pay SCT the $150 fee to get it unlocked for your next vehicle.

Paying $150 to get it unlocked sounds better then buying a new/used tuner. New runs $380 and even a used unlocked one runs $250 so save money in the end.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
If you are leaving the custom tune on, the tuner will be locked/married to that car.

You could sell the locked tuner online and get $100 to $150 for it or just pay SCT the $150 fee to get it unlocked for your next vehicle.

Paying $150 to get it unlocked sounds better then buying a new/used tuner. New runs $380 and even a used unlocked one runs $250 so save money in the end.
But then the person you sold the car to is screwed because he can't do anything else to the car because he no longer has a stock tune for the computer. He would then have to bring the car to Ford, pay to have them have them reflash a stock tune, then take the car to a tuner to have a new tune installed.

I would just ask for a couple of extra $$$ when selling the car and buy a new tuner.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
But then the person you sold the car to is screwed because he can't do anything else to the car because he no longer has a stock tune for the computer. He would then have to bring the car to Ford, pay to have them have them reflash a stock tune, then take the car to a tuner to have a new tune installed.

I would just ask for a couple of extra $$$ when selling the car and buy a new tuner.

this.

the tune should ride with the car

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator

If you look you can do it even cheaper. I picked up a used/unlocked XCal2 for 110 and bought tunes for 100.

roushy

Established Member
Tuner goes with car, no other option. Its almost assumed. If the guy ends up at a dealership or for whatevr reason the car gets a computer flash he is ****ed.

Users who are viewing this thread