Return Style fuel = boiling fluid?

bFoxGt500

Established Member
So I've had a triple pump, return style fuel system in the car for about a year. I had some recent issues with pressure and pumps supposedly fixed over the last couple of weeks. Took car out this weekend and after a couple of hours cruising around in 90F weather, I pulled into my garage and hear a gurgling sound coming from rear. I listen by the gas tank and it is gurgling - Really?! Is my fuel boiling? I've noticed higher than normal IAT2 also and wonder of it is related. I am stumped!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
boiling in the tank... very unlikely... in the lines in the engine bay... possible

the gurgle was with the engine off?

Blackmax

Established Member
I have recently installed Fore triple pump 465's and with key on not running engine the fuel hat fitting is extremely hot. I ran this by Fore but never recieved an answer. Not sure if this is normal because its a 90 degree fitting and high pump strength.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I don't know the peticulars of your fuel system but always try and keep fuel lines away from heated sources to keep fuel cool. And in a return system try and keep it above 1/4 tank. Should help keep the fuel from being overly heat soaked. My fuel gets only Luke warm...I actually pulled a fitting and tested the temp after a looooooong drive.

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
I don't know the peticulars of your fuel system but always try and keep fuel lines away from heated sources to keep fuel cool. And in a return system try and keep it above 1/4 tank. Should help keep the fuel from being overly heat soaked. My fuel gets only Luke warm...I actually pulled a fitting and tested the temp after a looooooong drive.

I believe fuel being forced through a 90 degree fitting at high pressure in a narrow hose must produce a lot of heat. My entire engine bay gets stupid hot no matter where the lines are,this winter I am adding louvres to the hood.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
I think you guys are right about not boiling. Could the gurgling sound I hear after the car is off and after a long cruise be the return line emptying into the tank? This could be the case, but I don't think it should be normal - or is it? Maybe the tank is under vacuum after shut-off that pulls the fuel from the lines. ?? I tried to upload the audio file but I can't.

Users who are viewing this thread