Retrofit Project Almost Done!

ICU 5.0

Established Member
Retrofit Project Almost Done! (Now Completed!)

I ended up going through Lightwerkz for a retrofit project as there were too many variables I would not be able to control in order to do this project on my own. They have been a good company to deal with so far, and kept me updated with everything that was going on. The lights will ship to me today, and hopefully I will be installing my new retrofit stuff by the weekend or next week. I will post up some pictures when I get them in and installed for sure. Here is the link for the time being. :banana:
Andy’s 2011 Mustang GT – Morimoto FXR Projector Conversion | Lightwerkz Gallery

Last edited:

ICU 5.0

Established Member
Thank you sir. Biggest reason I went with them was their reputation and quality of work. They will be a mod that not a lot of people have, and I think it is going to work better than most stock HID projectors out there.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Thank you sir. Biggest reason I went with them was their reputation and quality of work. They will be a mod that not a lot of people have, and I think it is going to work better than most stock HID projectors out there.
Yeah, the FXR kit is great. Big upgrade of the D3S system that Ford uses. If I wasn't scared of ruining my factory '13 lights, I would open them up and swap in a set of FXrs myself. It's already been done in a '13 F150 housing, which uses the same projector.

ICU 5.0

Established Member
I like that much better than the factory HID

Thanks for the kind words. These would look nasty on your 5.0

Yeah, the FXR kit is great. Big upgrade of the D3S system that Ford uses. If I wasn't scared of ruining my factory '13 lights, I would open them up and swap in a set of FXrs myself. It's already been done in a '13 F150 housing, which uses the same projector.

I agree about the frx. That is the main reason I went fxr and not another projector. There are a couple out there that are a bit better, but overall this will be a huge upgrade. I was originally going to try this project myself, but realized I would ruin my factory perma sealed headlights. Not a bad thing to have a back up set though.
That looks great!
Looking forward to see them installed on the car.

Thanks. I will post up a vid and some pics of the process as well.

Looks good,
which version of FX-R they went with ?

I think i have 1.1 in mine.

Dirty is correct, it is the 3.0

Jtaugner

Established Member
I did my own with FX-R 3.0's. Took 2 sets of headlights but still came out to ~$1000 than having them do it.

They are a good company but I'm not paying $2k for a set of projectors.

Labor depends on which headlights they use and what options. Permaseals were just shy of $1000 in labor without any options I believe. I still have the email somewhere.

ICU 5.0

Established Member
I did my own with FX-R 3.0's. Took 2 sets of headlights but still came out to ~$1000 than having them do it.

They are a good company but I'm not paying $2k for a set of projectors.

Labor depends on which headlights they use and what options. Permaseals were just shy of $1000 in labor without any options I believe. I still have the email somewhere.

I definitely would not spend 2k on a set. That is the main reason I bought a new aftermarket set. The non OEM aftermarkets are butyl sealed which reduced the cost a lot! Your experience on doing them yourself is more gratifying I am sure, but I figured they wouldn't not come out right the first time and I would end up spending what you did after I figured it out. I figured I would rather just have them professionally done and not worry about it. Kudos to you for hanging with it. Do you have any pics of yours by chance?

Looks damn good. I plan on doing mine next spring, Post up some pics when you get them installed!

Thanks, and I will for sure!

When they say plug and play is that for non hid cars or only factory hid cars?

The relay harness that comes with them is pretty much set up for whatever factory equipment you have. The Retrofit Source has some great stuff, and they are the company Lightwerkz gets their supply from I am pretty sure. The only thing I will have to do is connect a power supply and ground the harness twice. It is very straight forward for sure.

ICU 5.0

Established Member
They Are Done!

I got everything installed yesterday after I got off of work and I am very pleased. These lights are absolutely awesome! Excellent build quality, craftsmanship, and style from Lightwerkz. The pictures don't even do these lights justice as they look so much better in person and set the front of the car off something awesome. Lightwerkz packaged the hell out of these lights when they sent them which was very nice to see. The Morimoto ballasts and relay harness seem to be very nice quality pieces. Everything was clearly labeled and organized. I was a little worried that the clear signal lenses would show a yellow light even with amber colored bulbs. Fortunately the amber bulbs work great and the signals look just like they should.

I hooked up everything at first just to make sure everything functioned correctly and it did. So, I tucked in the wire harness and hid all of the wires neatly. I didn't have to, but I left the Morimoto relay box out because I liked how it looks and figured it would show off the custom nature of the lights. Other than the relay box, you can't see any wires so it is nice and clean. The FXR's have a very nice color band, sharp cut off, and good light coverage on the road. I only had to adjust the lights a very small amount upwards but they were almost perfect out of the box. They are at the right angle so I don't blind anyone and get very good light projection over the road. I will use the brights function I am sure, but the low beams work so well it isn't even really needed. The 5K bulbs are nice. Pretty much a pure white unless you are looking at them at an odd angle. Overall there is absolutely no comparison between the stock halogens and these projectors as far as function. They make the front of the car look really bad ass too.

I took a bunch of pictures and videos. I need to get a nice camera or stop by my buddies place that has one to get some good day time pictures. All that I used was my iphone, so the video isn't the best quality. The pictures just don't do these lights justice. Lightwerkz does some very impressive work that is very high quality. Well worth the money without a doubt. If anyone wants to get a retrofit done and doesn't want to mess with it themselves...go to Lightwerkz and you will not be disappointed. They do some really quality work and are nice guys to do business with in general. Let me know what you guys think :rockon:

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg