Retirement? LOL **** your face...

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
So it looks like our retirement has been effectively ****ed with. I know I'm falling in line with the government's plan of wanting me to get out before retirement. Looks like I'll take them up on their offer. Anyone else?

mrose75

Established Member
I'm at 20.5 years and I'm gonna milk it a few more years before I retire. Going for 60%. Gotta make up for that cost of living cut that the "esteemed leaders" in Congress decided to implement. My wife is at 17 years though, so when she quits so do I. Combine our "wonder twin" retirement checks and we might have a decent check coming in before we start our second careers.

Jebadias

Established Member
I'll be retiring next year but I definitly understand. If I wasn't so close I would think real hard about it. Every time someone 'important' comes around for some touchy feely dog and pony show I ask about early outs but of course they want to force you out with nothing to show for it, so I just grin and bare it.

saleensc281

Established Member
I have three years until I retire at 20. I declined my look for E-8, because I am disgusted as to how much support the military gets and where it is headed.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So it looks like our retirement has been effectively ****ed with. I know I'm falling in line with the government's plan of wanting me to get out before retirement. Looks like I'll take them up on their offer. Anyone else?

Needless to say, with almost 31 years in this disappoints. It does not surprise me.

wormriddle

Established Member
I'm at 15.5 years so far. Was going to push past 20 but now I think I'll punch out there. It's getting ridiculous how we have it but thats the problem with having D.C. infested with those who have never been in our shoes.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
You can't seriously be upset about this?

Military retirement has needed reform for years--just like social security.

That said, I expect to be grandfathered into the current system...should I stay in.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

That said, I expect to be grandfathered into the current system...should I stay in.

A lot of guys look at it like a broken promise. Recruiters sold young men and women on this as part of something that was considered untouchable for a long time.

Personally I am surprised it did not happen earlier.

Still not a bad retirement for guys looking to do 20 and out. They are in a great position to be skilled or experienced for a second job.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

Extremely upset. A (from what I've seen), 20 percent reduction in retirement is huge, with no grandfather clause. This budget deal seems like it was done in the typical ACA way of "you've got to pass it before you see what's in it". Also the majority of people in my sq are oblivious to it and that is particularly infuriating.
A lot of guys look at it like a broken promise. Recruiters sold young men and women on this as part of something that was considered untouchable for a long time.

Still not a bad retirement for guys looking to do 20 and out. They are in a great position to be skilled or experienced for a second job.
Yes the broken promises is a part of it. Might as well use the GI Bill before that one gets chucked under the bus as well.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

Well we better take record of this and add it into the history books as the first time a recruiter has ever lied to a soldier...:-D

Anytime you can pull a 50% retirement check for the rest of your life at age 38, I'd say it's a good deal.

The retirement system has been jacked for 50 years and it's needed reform. Maybe this isn't the answer, but it's a step towards an answer.

Sweeping it under the rug does no one any good.

There's something wrong when I have troops with multiple deployments under their belt that get out after their initial contract receiving not even a dime in retirement or disability benefits and then I see full bird colonels with 28 years of service and zero deployments about to milk the shit out of the retirement system for the next 30-60 years of their life.

It needs reform.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Well we better take record of this and add it into the history books as the first time a recruiter has ever lied to a soldier...:-D

Anytime you can pull a 50% retirement check for the rest of your life at age 38, I'd say it's a good deal.

The retirement system has been jacked for 50 years and it's needed reform. Maybe this isn't the answer, but it's a step towards an answer.

Sweeping it under the rug does no one any good.

There's something wrong when I have troops with multiple deployments under their belt that get out after their initial contract receiving not even a dime in retirement or disability benefits and then I see full bird colonels with 28 years of service and zero deployments about to milk the shit out of the retirement system for the next 30-60 years of their life.

It needs reform.
Nothing is changing their % until the COLAs start kicking in. Some incentive should be out there for soldiers but those that do not stay? No, to a retirement but yes to short term medical care (unless wounded) and maybe a 2 year adjustment fund.

For the guys who do 28 years and have not deployed, not sure how that happens but I recall when it was only SOF were gone 6-9 months a year and having to go to military schools did not count.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Nothing is changing their % until the COLAs start kicking in. Some incentive should be out there for soldiers but those that do not stay? No, to a retirement but yes to short term medical care (unless wounded) and maybe a 2 year adjustment fund.

For the guys who do 28 years and have not deployed, not sure how that happens but I recall when it was only SOF were gone 6-9 months a year and having to go to military schools did not count.

28 years may have been an embellishment, but there are most certainly field grade officers and senior enlisted who have managed to slip through the cracks for deployments.

I certainly don't have the answer to the reform needs. But the current system, like social security, is outdated.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
28 years may have been an embellishment, but there are most certainly field grade officers and senior enlisted who have managed to slip through the cracks for deployments.

I certainly don't have the answer to the reform needs. But the current system, like social security, is outdated.

Something tells me SS was on the table for discussion. I just see the Dems doing a switcharoo when it comes cutting time.

knight 64

SVT Power
Established Member
Retire

Why should us tax payers want to help you guys? You only sacrificed your lives and familys for the freedom of this country. You laid out in the cold why people were trying to kill and blow you up. You seen horror, watched your buddies die for us to live peace. We all lived comfortably and did not miss a beat. We partied had fun, enjoyed every birthday of are children and familys. Sorry Guys, you are my heros. Im embarrassed as a tax payer. God Bless you all. I will write my Congressman.

wormriddle

Established Member
Why should us tax payers want to help you guys? You only sacrificed your lives and familys for the freedom of this country. You laid out in the cold why people were trying to kill and blow you up. You seen horror, watched your buddies die for us to live peace. We all lived comfortably and did not miss a beat. We partied had fun, enjoyed every birthday of are children and familys. Sorry Guys, you are my heros. Im embarrassed as a tax payer. God Bless you all. I will write my Congressman.

Man I read you first sentence and got soooo pissed off, til I finished the rest. Thanks for the words, someone sees the point. I don't EVER bitch about how I have things, I chose this life. I chose to shoot for 20 and retire. In the end, 50% of my base pay doesn't equal seeing my family grow up in pictures but it's damn sure worth contributing to you enjoying being with yours, and all the other Americans who do.

saleensc281

Established Member
The retirement is the last system to need reform. What needs to be looked at is the medical disiblity reimbursment/retirement, there are a lot of freeloaders/dirtbags who have lied and whined to get extra money. Crap needs to stop...now!

mrose75

Established Member
I have three years until I retire at 20. I declined my look for E-8, because I am disgusted as to how much support the military gets and where it is headed.

Don't do that to yourself. Go for what you can, you better get it all because they are bound to take more away from you in the future.

I'm at 15.5 years so far. Was going to push past 20 but now I think I'll punch out there. It's getting ridiculous how we have it but thats the problem with having D.C. infested with those who have never been in our shoes.

THIS!! We are just another "cut" in their eyes. Regardless of what "those people" say in their holiday greetings on AFN. I'm so fed up with that "institution", if I honestly expressed how I felt I'd be charged with something. They are disgusting.

The retirement is the last system to need reform. What needs to be looked at is the medical disiblity reimbursment/retirement, there are a lot of freeloaders/dirtbags who have lied and whined to get extra money. Crap needs to stop...now!

Agreed. You do 28 years, and skip out on deployments? You may be a turd, but you still did 28 years of service. What pisses me off is when I see a Soldier seperated because he can't meet height/weight standards and pass a APFT for years, but get a f'n serverence check. Or how about all these 19 & 20 year olds that haven't done anything more strenuous than take an APFT and yet end up with a P3 profile for their back or hips. The Army didn't do that to you, you have poor genetics. Let them finish their term, thank them for their service, and send them on their way. No benefits. Leave that for the people that earned them. I'm at 20.5 years and I still show up every morning for PT and stay and do it with my Soldiers. No profiles, no "appointments", no excuses. And still score 275 or higher on my APFT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jebadias

Established Member

Maybe in the Army or Air Force but 6-9 months of deployment a year has been a standard in the Navy for decades. I remember when it was not uncommon for a deploymet to get extended out to 11+ months at the last minute.

For many people this is true and the military can be a great boost to a resume, but lets remember that the reason the military has a 20 year option for retirement is that, depending on your rating, military life can be much harder on the member than the average civilian job. People get worn out after 20 years of deployments and the pay is not that great. The retirement is part of the compensation package and while I agree it needs reform, the reform is going the wrong way.

Exactly.

Ummm... that's not going to happen. Look at welfare. Military members are far less valuable than the people sitting around smoking medical marijuana and collecting a free check and foodstamps every month. Why wouldn't we create a welfare class in the military too? It makes sense if you are a politician.

Agreed. You do 28 years, and skip out on deployments? You may be a turd, but you still did 28 years of service.

I can see being pissed about someone who never deployed, but the thing is no system is perfect. At least that person was available for deployment, that is something, and more than most people can say.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
For many people this is true and the military can be a great boost to a resume, but lets remember that the reason the military has a 20 year option for retirement is that, depending on your rating, military life can be much harder on the member than the average civilian job. People get worn out after 20 years of deployments and the pay is not that great. The retirement is part of the compensation package and while I agree it needs reform, the reform is going the wrong way.

This is true but your reasoning is a tad off. The reason the military and any state or federal government job offer such a high retirment/pension is due to at the time, government workers were being paid less than the private sector.

This doesn't necessarily hold true anymore. It most certainly does for say GEN Odierno who is essentially the CEO of a company with 1.1 million employees. Obviously his ~$225k a year doesn't compare to the CEO of a private sector company with that many employees.

I think we have to look at some form of points system similar to the guard and reserve, but it shouldn't be identical or turn towards a civilian 401k type program with deposit matching (NOT the TSP).

The big issue imo, is how much retirement a soldier will receive over their lifetime while only serving 20 years.

Say you retire as an E-7/E-8 at 20 years at age 40. Current average lifespan in the US is 78.64 years which I'll round to 79. So for 39 years you're going to receive a paycheck of ~$2200 a month or $1.03 million dollars.

Now on top of that, add all of your medical coverage. It makes it pretty obvious why they're trying to reform the retirement process.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
3 deployments in 7 years it was hard on me and my family. if we continue to be at war like we have been the last 10 years it is not worth it anymore

Users who are viewing this thread