Restoring the color of faded black vinyl decals

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
After going through auto carwashes black vinyl decals that are subjected to the harsh soaps of direct jet sprays (like hood and rea decklid decals) will sometimes get spotted color fade blotches even if they have been clearcoated.

My first choice to restore the color of the black decal is to apply Turtle Wax Color Car Wax (in black of course). I just apply it, let it haze and then buff off. The decal's original color state is restored and the blotces will be hidden. The wax layer also protects the vinyl for several washes. When the blotches reappear just repeat the process.

If I cannot find the Turtle Wax stuff my next choice is to apply Kiwi's black liquid shoe polish, let it dry and then buff away.

If you can't find either product then heat a small chunk of the black wax shoe polish in can with a lighter until it melts, dip the applicator in it and apply then buff away.

If you get any excess on the surrounding painted surfaces dip a small 100% cotton washrag in alcohol and wipe off the excess on the painted surface.

Users who are viewing this thread