Restart your GPU driver without rebooting

quad

Established Member
With 128 GB RAM I don't have to reboot my computer for days unless a Windows update requires it. However the GPU memory will get filled up and the computer can appear sluggish unless a reboot is made.

Fortunately there is a way around that. You can restart the GPU without rebooting the computer. It clears the GPU RAM and makes the computer snappy again. It only takes about 2 seconds. The screen will go black and then come back on again.

I have a shortcut key (ctrl+alt+shift+g) assigned to a batch script to call out execution.

Guide: Restart your crashed GPU driver without rebooting.

1. Download DevManView from the bottom of this page and extract the exe to the desktop or location of your choosing. There is no installation and you don't need the .chm file to run it.
  2. Create an empty batch (.bat) file in the same location as the exe using notepad or whatever you prefer. Copy the following script into the bat file and save as restartgpu.bat (make sure not to save as a .txt file) keep the file open for now.
    Code:
    @echo off
    echo.
    echo *** Restarting GPU
    timeout /t 2 /nobreak >nul
    devmanview.exe /disable_enable "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series"
    echo.
    echo *** DoNe
    timeout /t 2 /nobreak >nul
    taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
    explorer.exe
  3. Run DevManView and right click properties on any of the rows that is your graphics card (there may be multiple entries). In the box that opens copy the Device Name: and paste into the batch file you created. See above where I have put mine in bold italics. Close DevManView and save your batch file.

CV355

_
Established Member
giphy.gif

(actually, I'm going to try this at work... most of what I do is graphics intensive)

Users who are viewing this thread