Resonator Opinions...

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Hey guys,

Sorry for bringing up a "beat" topic, but I just wanted some fresh opinions and ideas from others' experiences. I already ticked off some of the guys at contour.org, but oh well... :nonono:that's another topic for another time...

I have a '98 CSVT with a couple "cheapy" straight-design mufflers welded to the back. I mainly bought these mufflers to make it look better by filling the bumper cut-outs more, and hoping for a little more sound. They don't sound bad, but I was wanting to see if I can do something to make the car louder...

Alot of people talk about replacing the stock resonator with a Magnaflow...possibly 10435. But I was also wondering what it would be like to replace the resonator with just a piece of pipe...making it a straight-pipe exhaust (but still keep cats and mufflers).
Has anyone tried this set-up?? I'm just curious about loudness and if theres any backfire? I LOVE loud exhaust, but I don't really want anything that won't pass inspection...since this car is my DD.

So what are your thought on Magnaflow vs. Straight-Pipe (removing resonator) ???

Thanks,
Frank

Recoveryone

Established Member
I have the regular exhust setup minus the res, the best way to tell you is have you hear it for yourself. check out my videos: Contour Commerical and Rain and you will hear it real good. go to the links below,

Last edited:

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Cool. Yeah I was gonna check out some youtube clips or something after I get my comp speakers hooked up (like the guys at contour.org suggested).
I just wanted to get some opinions in the mean time.

BTW, your car looks good. I like what you did to the rims.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited:

Recoveryone

Established Member
Thanks, one of the clips (Rain) I listed are not on youtupe, but I have them in a video collection on my Autolog page.

Last edited:

brapple

Established Member
Hey guys,

Sorry for bringing up a "beat" topic, but I just wanted some fresh opinions and ideas from others' experiences. I already ticked off some of the guys at contour.org, but oh well... :nonono:that's another topic for another time...

so you want to re-invent the wheel then? Its had to bring a fresh idea to something so simple..... straight pipe vs resonator ......

pick one option, straight pipe or resonator. some like it without other don't. without it will be raspy until the exhaust warms up.

don't like it add the resonator. still don't like it get a full exhaust from trubendz. there are more then enough videos posted with different exhaust setups to make your mind up. check out the exhaust videos on NECO also ....

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
so you want to re-invent the wheel then? Its had to bring a fresh idea to something so simple..... straight pipe vs resonator ......

pick one option, straight pipe or resonator. some like it without other don't. without it will be raspy until the exhaust warms up.

don't like it add the resonator. still don't like it get a full exhaust from trubendz. there are more then enough videos posted with different exhaust setups to make your mind up. check out the exhaust videos on NECO also ....

I'm not trying to come off as a "hater". I appreciate any help I can get. I apologize for bringing up old topics, but that's all there is for a car they stopped producing almost 10 years ago...
I also apologize for not going about my searches the right way...but I don't usually spend alot of time on the net, so I just think it's nice to talk to others and see what opinions they want to post.

Like I said before, I plan to listen to video and sound clips. I just haven't been home alot unless it's pretty late.

Thanks,:beer:
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread