Resonator delete on gt350

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Your quote of GT Premi is one that simply isn't accurate. ...

Wrong or not, just like Creedog, I can tell a difference in the sound. It's not a "self fulfilling prophecy". I could hear a difference before I even had my R, so it's not like I'm playing favorites for the R over the standard GT350. I love them both! There is an audible difference. It's not impossible that Creedog and I (and millions of other people) have really sensitive hearing.

I find it hard to believe that I am the only one wanting to do this. ...

You're not the only one who wants to do it. It's just that a lot of the people get discouraged/distracted by "That's crazy! If you just do ABC, you can save XYZ dollars and have the 'exact' same thing." Which I'm really surprised Tob wouldn't be onboard with your thinking, considering how much time and money he spent retrofitting a brand new '13 GT500 carbon fiber driveshaft to his '09 GT500 when he "could've just bought an aftermarket carbon fiber shaft" and been done with it since there's "no difference" in the driveability and reliability of an aftermarket shaft.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
If you heard them in person and thought they sounded different that’s one thing, but if you’ve only watched videos I’d be inclined to blame it on audio quality of whatever gadget it was filmed on.

ANGREY

Established Member
No, you can't hear a difference in the same exhaust, one of which having 4 welds for inserted tubes and the other not. IF there's a difference, then either the tune on the cars are different or some other physical/mechanical difference to explain it.

The notion is absurd. Either the cars are appreciably different in some other way or the phenomenon is all placebo.

ANGREY

Established Member
I don't think someone is crazy for wanting to spend the money to swap out an OEM 350R resonator delete. A bit OCD, but we all have OCD when it comes to various aspects of what we find acceptable for our cars and what not.

But the notion that one sounds different than the other, THAT is what I think is crazy.

It's like someone telling you they can feel the ride difference between Ford OEM lug nuts and aftermarket identical lug nuts. Or someone they can tell the difference between a stereo wired with OEM wiring or one that features OEM wiring purchased in the aftermarket.

If you want to pay to have the real McCoy, hats off to you. But doing it because you want everything to be more professional and not "jury rigged" is one thing. Doing it because you swear you can hear the exhaust differences over imperceptible welds, that's crazy.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
GT Premi said:
It's not a "self fulfilling prophecy".

It is, you just won't allow yourself to admit it.

GT Premi said:
Which I'm really surprised Tob wouldn't be onboard with your thinking, considering how much time and money he spent retrofitting a brand new '13 GT500 carbon fiber driveshaft to his '09 GT500 when he "could've just bought an aftermarket carbon fiber shaft" and been done with it since there's "no difference" in the driveability and reliability of an aftermarket shaft.

You just made an apples to oranges comparison and also threw in a banana.

In the case of the exhaust discussion, adding two equal lengths of 2-3/4" 409 SS tubing nets you a system that is 100% identical to that of another model (the R in this case). Your driveshaft analogy is like saying that the letter "a" looks like the letter "o" so therefore all men who vote democrat must have sissy tits.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

You just made an apples to oranges comparison and also threw in a banana.

How? You wanted to retrofit an OEM driveshaft to your GT500 even though many would say it was not worth the money or effort when you could've just bought an aftermarket drive shaft that bolted right up. Now you're trying to tell OP he's crazy for wanting on OEM GT350R exhaust when he can just get a hackjob system thrown in for much cheaper and get the same end result. It's not "apples to apples" because the shoe is on the other foot? A legitimate explanation of the difference(s) of the scenarios would be nice.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You're doubling down on an argument you are having with yourself that isn't based in reality. Your driveshaft analogy doesn't make sense. Let it go.

I never said the OP was crazy nor has anyone mentioned "hackjob" other than you.

Not trying to be rude but it is apparent you have little fabrication or welding experience. Cutting off the resonators and welding in the appropriate tubing is an easy job. In fact, it isn't difficult to make better welds than the hackjob factory welds at that juncture.

TaraFirma

Established Member
In 50 years when these cars roll across Barrett Jackson or Mecum auction blocks, they will mention the “completely stock, uncut, unmolested factory exhaust” on the cars that the owner replaced the non R with the R exhaust. That’s why I can understand spending the money on the complete R cat-back.

ANGREY

Established Member
In 50 years when these cars roll across Barrett Jackson or Mecum auction blocks, they will mention the “completely stock, uncut, unmolested factory exhaust” on the cars that the owner replaced the non R with the R exhaust. That’s why I can understand spending the money on the complete R cat-back.

In 50 years, nearly everyone reading this thread will be dead. In 50 years, nearly everyone reading this who's still alive will have sold their 350/R and bought something else.

The collector queens for the 350 are a curious bunch. They remind me of the baseball card group. After the baseball card craze of the 90's, everyone and their 5 brothers tried getting in on it (including card manufacturers) and it was too late. Everyone had missed the train.

The 350 is manufactured is numbers way too high to every appreciate substantially (certainly not to the point of justifying the costs of long term storage, insurance, annual taxes, etc).

Just drive it and enjoy it. And if you do THAT, then you've already conceded a BUNCH of value out of the car at some future Mecum/Barret Jackson event.

I collect firearms as well. I have firearms that I use and ones that's are safe queens. But I don't think I've ever kept a safe queen and deprived myself of the joy of shooting something similar/equivalent.

So unless you're driving around something equal to your 350 and you're storing the 350 in a climate controlled environment and plan on keeping the miles in 3 digits for 50 years, I don't think it's going to matter if you bought an OEM 350R exhaust and swapped it out our spent $100 on a resonator delete kit.

Just my opinions, do whatever you guys want. I certainly appreciate someone who's OCD and wants real McCoy parts on their car.....but buying the 350R oem kit because you think it sounds different or you're hoping it will make a difference at auction half a century from now...just seems a little crazy/kookoo.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Since so many people don't want to pay for the real R exhaust, they may end up being worth the original purchase price or more when production ends and parts dry up. When things go unobtanium, desire and price often go up. Just another thought....

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread