Residential Home Inspectors here?

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Looking to maybe get another job in the Residential Home Inspection field. Curious about what training is needed.

What are the pay ranges?

To start own company or work for someone else?

Residential Home Inspectors are paid by either the buyer or seller of the house that is to be purchased. They usually take 3-6 hours/house to go over every detail of the house to evaluate its condition.

Looking for advice or just someone who does this for a living. Thanks:beer:

1bad95

Established Member
Mike Holmes? Lol

it's the buyers who pay for the inspection. While not mandatory I think most with half a brain get them. Think it's just a per house charge, not hourly rate charged.

Sounds and seems like it would be a cool job, def some crappy ones out there who just don't care to really help the people who they are hired by.

007snake

mechanical music
Established Member
I have owned my own remodeling company for over 20 years, have been president of NARI, (national association of the remodeling industry, mid maryland), for the past 2 years. I have several associates I know that do these inspections. I would check within your state to find home inspection certification classes. in Maryland it is a certification you receive after taking the classes and passing the test. The inspection procedure typically takes about three hours and you will have a check list and of course know the tools needed. a good friend of mine that does this also has a remodeling company, actually 2, it is a part time thing for him, maybe a couple a week, he charges $350.00 I believe. Maybe the midwest and the distance you are willing to travel could make it a full time job. I would speak to some people in your area that provide the service and they could answer better than I.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Thats the problem around here, not enough homes selling anymore; Real hard to make it a Fulltime gig.

400 per around here.

TorchMach

Established Member
Go for it.

I use a Inspector all the time. Once, you get to know several agents you should be fine...mine charges about $100-800 depending on property.

Users who are viewing this thread