Resetting the computer

NWUCIT

Established Member
For simple mods like cat-back and K&N with silencer removed, is it necessary to unhook the battery to reset computer to get full benefit?.....if so, how long does it need to be disconnected?

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
I think it should be done. I leave mine disconnected for 45 min - 1 hour.

chassebr

Established Member
Yes, even for the simplest of mods you should unhook the battery so that it can learn the new idle trim. It only needs to be disconnected for about 10 sec if you touch the + and - battery wire terminals together.

Last edited:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Disconnect the battery. Negative first, then positive. Put your foot on the brake to completely discharge the system. 60 seconds is all that's required. Hook back up. Positive first then negative.

Mac...

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra
Disconnect the battery. Negative first, then positive. Put your foot on the brake to completely discharge the system. 60 seconds is all that's required. Hook back up. Positive first then negative.

Mac...

Why this sequence? Doesn't just disconnecting the negative for more than 30 minutes do the same thing? :read:

After my pulley-chip addition the car just ran like A%S until I disconnected the negative cable for 45 minutes, after which the car is just insane HP/TQ. :eek: :eek:

No flame, my brain is like a sponge for info :idea:

:thumbsup:

chassebr

Established Member
According to my 2000 Mustang Workshop Manual you should disconnect the battery ground cable, then disconnect the positive battery cable, then wait a bit, then connect the positive, and then connect the ground. When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven to relearn its strategy.

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The sequence of negative first and then positive second is a safety issue and has nothing to do with the computer or anything else. By disconnecting the negative first, you eliminate the possibility of shorting to ground while disconnecting or removing the positive cable. And the reverse holds true when re-attaching the cables.
Dana

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by T3 Cobra
Why this sequence? Doesn't just disconnecting the negative for more than 30 minutes do the same thing? :read:

After my pulley-chip addition the car just ran like A%S until I disconnected the negative cable for 45 minutes, after which the car is just insane HP/TQ. :eek: :eek:

No flame, my brain is like a sponge for info :idea:

:thumbsup:

Dear Sponge Bob:

1) For nearly any system in the car, applying the brake pedal is a a good practice. There is residual capacitance in many of the control circuits (esp. ABS) which can be enough to keep circuits alive for quite a while - pressing the brake pedal is a heavy current draw which will help ensure "dead" circuits are dead.

2) I PM'd you about a TCS bypass box (those are yours, right)? Still waiting.....

chassebr

Established Member
wouldn't touching the + and - terminal wires together produce the same result like I initially posted?

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Excellent and informative thread, resetting the ECU the proper way...

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
Dear Sponge Bob:

1) For nearly any system in the car, applying the brake pedal is a a good practice. There is residual capacitance in many of the control circuits (esp. ABS) which can be enough to keep circuits alive for quite a while - pressing the brake pedal is a heavy current draw which will help ensure "dead" circuits are dead.

2) I PM'd you about a TCS bypass box (those are yours, right)? Still waiting.....

The t/c bypass (Black Box II) are expected in later this week. I do not have a pm from you?

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
The sequence of negative first and then positive second is a safety issue and has nothing to do with the computer or anything else. By disconnecting the negative first, you eliminate the possibility of shorting to ground while disconnecting or removing the positive cable. And the reverse holds true when re-attaching the cables.
Dana

True...And I might add that this above shorting-to-ground can, and often does, create sparks which could create a fire...

THAT would make for a very bad day!:cryying:

Weasel

Established Member
I've disconeected the negative terminal for about 1 1/2 hrs. The clock had to be re-set and trip odometer went to 0. Does everyone think that was sufficient ?

Mike

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by Weasel
I've disconeected the negative terminal for about 1 1/2 hrs. The clock had to be re-set and trip odometer went to 0. Does everyone think that was sufficient ?

Mike
Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread