Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Under 50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
So I went to see my local recruiter this morning, and I was left with a few open ended questions.

1) Is 87 a good ASVAB score? I was told it was the best score my recruiter has ever seen a highschooler do.

2) I'd work one weekend a month after I sign for 6 years, what would I be doing?

3) He suggested me going into intel. Anyone have any experience on this?

4) What's everyone's opinion of the reserve?

Edit: I was talking about army. I DO NOT want to move.

Last edited:

Richter888

Established Member
I'm not sure which branch your joining, but I can say the Air Force reservists got it made when it comes to deployments.

Personally, I'd go for intel. I'm in maintenance(crew chief). I hate it. Stay away from maintenance in the military and you'll be good.

(1) 77 is a pretty good score. Consider the minimum score. Also your asvab is broken into four separate categories that are averaged together to form your final score.
M.A.G.E(Math, Arithmetic, Grammar, Electric). They use this to help class you.
"The Coast Guard and Air Force require a score of 36, the Navy 35, Marines 32 and the Army 31."

(2) I'm active duty, but from what I understand you will be working your civilian job. You will only work one weekend a month(in reality 2-3 days). You will be deployed eventually, but you get lots of benefits.

(3) Whatever you do, DO NOT be open mechanical, electric, etc... I got a 89 on mine and I got stuck working as a crew chief. Nothing wrong with it, but I feel what talent I have is wasted. Make sure your gonna get that job you want. In the Air Force its called an AFSC. Ask them about it.

(4) My opinion is the reserve is very pampered. Also there are jobs that you can get full time with the reserve. They usually pay really well, but you dont get things like BASIC HOUSING ALLOWANCE and BAS(Basic allowance for sustenance).

On a final note, if you have the option I say go as a commissioned officer if you can. We enlisted to not get treated nearly as well and a 3 year 1st lt makes more than a 16 yr master sergeant. Just FYI.

Hope this helps a little.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
So I went to see my local recruiter this morning, and I was left with a few open ended questions.

2) I'd work one weekend a month after I sign for 6 years, what would I be doing?
Honestly, on the Army side, you won't do much at all. You will have AT for two weeks in the summer though as well. Army Reserves is easily one of the best part time jobs you could ever sign up for.

3) He suggested me going into intel. Anyone have any experience on this?
Intel can be beneficial if you are able to receive a top secret security clearance. Aside from that, it appeared extremely boring to me.

Are you good at math? Do you want your reserve training to help your civilian career?

If so, take a look into the MOS 12P. It's prime power and can result in $80k a year on the civilian side. You get excellent training in a brand new facility in FLW.

If I could do it again, I would enlist, go to prime power school, and then hit warrant. Currently im an O1 in a sapper unit.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
79 for me on the ASVAB. I'm a 6114 in the USMC. Helicopter mechanic.

GT, EL, and all the other scores were above 115 for me.

elcobrita

Established Member
Your score is very good thats about what i got. The most important section however is your GT score.

I am 25 years old and finished my 6 year Army Reserve contract last Jan.

The Reserves are great, you will have a pretty cool experience plus you can always go active once you are home if you really like it. I got a high score but was limited on the MOS's offered i wanted something with a bonus.

As stated earlier career wise i would only stay in it as a warrant officer or comissioned officer.

Gi bill is great plus if you have a job that pays you military leave you will double dip pay.

Army Reserve is great the pro's outweigh the cons imo. Cool learning experience

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Took the full test today and ended up scoring an 87

Congrats. Took mine 2 weeks ago and scored a 90 and 123 GT. Trying to decide now which reserves and what MOS. Also either enlisted or commissioned. I know I want to do it but decisions, decisions.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Congrats. Took mine 2 weeks ago and scored a 90 and 123 GT. Trying to decide now which reserves and what MOS. Also either enlisted or commissioned. I know I want to do it but decisions, decisions.

I know what you mean, im still trying to figure everything out. 6 years a long time.

USMarksman91

Banned
Im in the air force new york national guard. I love it, been in for a year and a half. Was on active duty orders for about 7 months, made decent money, learned a lot, now i get good benefits. Military is always a good idea, no matter what you want to be in life, military will help with anything, the discipline you get will always be positive.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
You have a good score, man. If you can swing it, go Avionics on something. I signed open contract in the Marines and got Avionics because of my ASVAB scores. Greatest thing that ever happened to me. I'm now out in the civilian world doing the same thing, but I'm making a TON more money. It's a very useful skill as they can never find enough avi guys anywhere there is a depot.

Sagittaria

Established Member
Asvab scores don't mean crap once you're past 80. After that you're eligible for whatever field you want.

Intel sounds cool but from what I've heard it's mostly paperwork locked in a vault (not as cool as it sounds again). Counter intel is a completely different story... but that's more of your gung ho mentality which is not what you want from what I'm gathering. What do you want to do?

As far as you not wanting to be from home... you do realize that you'll be on active duty for basic, AIT, school and all the time in between for starters correct? And if you get a technical MOS then expect year+ long schools AWAY from home. And reservists DO deploy as well... I'm not sure how it is in the Army but Marines have a select few words for reservists... It's tough and I see many who sign up for the reserves who probably should've thought it through more. You don't join so you can hang around stateside next to your folks..., wish it were true.

It all depends on what you want to be doing. Just remember, whatever you choose... you better realize you'll devote a lot of time doing it. So choose wisely that you most enjoy doing.

Last edited:

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
99 here... Data Systems Administrator in the Marines. Asvab scores don't mean crap once you're past 80. After that you're eligible for whatever field you want.

Intel sounds cool but from what I've heard it's mostly paperwork locked in a vault (not as cool as it sounds again). Counter intel is a completely different story... but that's more of your gung ho mentality which is not what you want from what I'm gathering. What do you want to do?

As far as you not wanting to be from home... you do realize that you'll be on active duty for basic, AIT, school and all the time in between for starters correct? And if you get a technical MOS then expect year+ long schools AWAY from home. And reservists DO deploy as well... I'm not sure how it is in the Army but Marines have a select few words for reservists... It's tough and I see many who sign up for the reserves who probably should've thought it through more. You don't join so you can hang around stateside next to your folks..., wish it were true.

It all depends on what you want to be doing. Just remember, whatever you choose... you better realize you'll devote a lot of time doing it. So choose wisely that you most enjoy doing.

Not sure if I was mentioned earlier, but im 17, id sign now, wouldn't go to basic til a year from now, 4 years of college where I wouldn't deploy, then 1 year til im out. As far as training for basic, I know ill leave the state, probably like north carolina, and that's fine with me, its only two months and I get paid for it. As far as my MOS job, I wanted something that I could transfer to the real world, after I finish with reserve I wanted to build hot rods, and stuff like that. Army can't really help me there so I was thinking about being a truck driver or something so I could work for ups, fed ex, or something like that while in school. Any opinions?

clbailey

Established Member
I made a 98 across the board.

I'm curious as to if they actually take that into consideration at basic, because I work with some of the dumbest people Ive met in my life. Its amazing that big blue allows 18 yr old idiots to work partially supervised on multi million dollar aircraft.

And to think, the USAF is known as being the most technologically skilled service, with all the ding dongs that work for me, whats to say about the USMC and the ARMY which aren't known for being the brightest.

And there are many jobs that deal with auto repair/body work and maintenance. Just gota wait for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread