Resealing differential Cover

cj428mach

Established Member
Can any body point me to a good write up on how to get to the rear differential cover to reseal it?

There is a FRPP rear cover install in the how to section it will cover what you need to do to reseal the cover. The questions is what are you going to do to prevent it from leaking again? Spend the money on the FRPP cover, its a nice piece and will eliminate this issue in the future.

cj428mach

Established Member
Does the ffrp provide more support? Will it help with the clunk in the rear end when you shift?

Yes its a monster compared to the stock cover. If you have the clunk that probably means your differential bushings are shot and you should replace them while you're doing the cover.

Pollardhimself

Established Member
Yeah I think i'm going to go with replacing everything but don't got the cash now so went with plan B.
Spray it down with brake cleaner and put a $%^ ton of black rtv on the bottom of the diff.

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
Is the clunks on shifts only? Only clunk I ever had before and after FTBR kit / Ford Racing diff cover was a clunk when I lifted off the gas in any gear

Black306

Established Member
I just installed a Ford Racing diff cover over the weekend. Personally, I didn't remove the caliper, rotor, or CV shaft from the knuckle. I also removed the tie rod from the inboard side, not the knuckle side; easier to deal with. If you disconnect the brake cable and brake line brackets, you'll have enough slack to get the CV shaft out of the center section.

svtaddict

Established Member
just replaced my stock cover with a frpp cover and lubelocker gasket. best thing ive done all year. also found out mine was leaking from the pinion seal. make sure you put gasket maker around the pinion seal (NOT ON THE COVER JUST THE LUBELOCKER)where it slides into the housing also put gasket maker on the splines of the pinion ive seen them leak from there too. the solid bushing in the front and the back is probably one of the top best mods on our cars.

Last edited:

8URC6

God Bless America
Established Member
From my understanding you cant just bolt this Ford racing cover on, it requires different diff mounts, diff support, and diff bushings ????

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
From my understanding you cant just bolt this Ford racing cover on, it requires different diff mounts, diff support, and diff bushings ????

The Ford Racing diff cover will bolt right on the car with the original diff mounts. But..........only a fool would use the original diff mounts when replacing the OEM cover.

:thumbsup::coolman:

8URC6

God Bless America
Established Member
Bruce ive never been so confused after this and the PM's you sent me lol. O well im just gonna reuse factory cover for now

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce ive never been so confused after this and the PM's you sent me lol. O well im just gonna reuse factory cover for now

If you are using the OEM diff mounts, the Ford Racing cover bolts right on. If you are using our Delrin isolated rear diff lowering mount in order to totally optimize your driveline angles, you will need the FT 1350M milled Ford Racing cover we offer. Otherwise you will run into clearance issues with the inner toe link mounts on the subframe hitting the lowered Ford Racing diff cover. You can use a rear lowering mount with the OEM cover without any clearance issues.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

:thumbsup::coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread