Requesting the expertise of SVTP - New sound coming from under car (video)

intermatic

Established Member
My car started making this sound about a week or so ago. Initially when I first noticed it, it was pretty faint. It seems to have gotten a little louder since then (I've driven the car ~150 miles since with several WOT pulls sprinkled in between).

The noise seems to be loudest at first startup/drive. After driving for say 10 miles, it may or may not make the noise at idle/low speed (1st/2nd gear).

Video is taken after just starting the car and driving about a quarter mile. The noise won't start if I just start the car and it's idling (aka i havent released the parking break or put the car in gear to move), but as soon as I do start moving it starts.

I drove roughly 15 miles after taking this video, and when I pulled back into my driveway to park, the car wasn't making the sound.

Any ideas? In case it's relevant, I'll mention that my throwout bearing chirps pretty much all the time at idle (sometimes it'll go away after I've been driving a bit).

Thanks for the help guys.

[video=youtube;0wErFq79VOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wErFq79VOw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

intermatic

Established Member
Take the blower belt off and start the car, see if the noise is still there.

Me not so good at doing things to car other than breaking it lol...that I have an uncanny knack for I've come to find over the years (it's really just old parts failing/needing replacement, but still)..the most I get involved when it comes to working on my car is changing the oil and spark plugs. That's not to say I couldn't figure out how to remove the belt, but I don't really trust myself to put it back on properly. :rolleyes:
What were you thinking could be the issue that removing the belt might help to zero in on/verify? Bad pulley bearing?

Any change in the sound as you push the clutch in and out?
No the sound isn't affected at all when I press the clutch in.

Thanks for the responses so far.

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
It sounds like a bad bearing of some sort. I agree with taking the belt off for trouble shooting, however there's 2 belts on these cars and the back belt is a pita to get off , the blower belt is extremely easy. See if you can listen to all the pulleys to isolate the noise. Maybe jack it up and lay under with a light too. Does it change pitch when you give it gas?

MG0h3

Established Member
I would think that if its from the clutch back, pushing the clutch in should at least change the sound.

This doesn't jive with the fact that there is no noise until you move the car though.

I agree with the last post...bearing.

intermatic

Established Member
I would think that if its from the clutch back, pushing the clutch in should at least change the sound.

This doesn't jive with the fact that there is no noise until you move the car though.

I agree with the last post...bearing.

Thanks for the reply. I'm gunna try to swing by my shop for a lookover hopefully this week. I'll update the thread with any findings.

cj428mach

Established Member
Not to sound like a jerk but buying a car that is extremely modded and not having the mechanical ability to change a belt almost always equals a bad bad situation. The more a car is modded the more it'll have problems like this and if you can't wrench on them they'll eat you up.

intermatic

Established Member
Not to sound like a jerk but buying a car that is extremely modded and not having the mechanical ability to change a belt almost always equals a bad bad situation. The more a car is modded the more it'll have problems like this and if you can't wrench on them they'll eat you up.

Yea, I agree with you. I need to learn how to do basic things such a belt change.
I've always paid for any work/installations on the car for the most part because I don't have the skills or time really for that matter (or tools) to do the vast majority of it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to learn, but there's only so much time I have free in my week with work and all. I also won't allow myself to risk screwing up this car for learning purposes. It'd be nice to have a project car on the side that I could use for this...one day.
Sounds like a lot of excuses I realize, but it's really what it boils down to.

oldmodman

Established Member
Glad you found the problem.

But don't replace the part with another weak factory part. Get the machined stronger one from Lethal Performance. And as long as all that money is being spent on the labor to R&R the transmission this might be a good time to upgrade the clutch too.

Users who are viewing this thread