Reproduction vs Ford Parts (67 Mustang)

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
So I bought my mustang 2 weeks ago, and it needs a lot of work. I am trying to price up a lot of the pieces so give myself an idea of how to budget things to make this car happen.

The Ford original pieces are nearly four times more than the reproduction pieces. How well do reproduction pieces fit comparably?

In between the Ford originals and reproduction pieces (in the middle in cost) are Ford Tooling pieces. How well would these fit compared to the Ford originals?

I want to get the best quality I can for the price, but to pay nearly $600 per fender I am not too excited about.

sixt5

Established Member
if your good with bodywork you might get the cheaper ones. where did you price them at? Year One has quality stuff but the price is rediculous

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Are the repops junk? No, but you're right in assuming they aren't as good as the old stuff. Even the "Ford" pieces won't fit exactly. Fit and finish back then wasn't what it is today.

IMO, go with the cheaper parts and spend a little elbow grease on getting everything to fit well. Save your money for other things...

Yellow4.6

Established Member
I would try to go w/ N.O.S (new old stock) parts as much as you can. It just depends on what your trying to accomplish w/ your restoration. Just as ElGato stated the fit and finish wasn't what it is now back then. No 2 panels were lined up the same.

If you do decide to go w/ aftermarket body panels then stay w/ some of the better companies, Year One, K.A.R. etc. It may be alittle more money but to me it will far outweigh the time and hassle trying to get cheap or junkyard parts to work.

Goodluck

sixt5

Established Member
also shoul remember, when you go to replacing panels, you will see if the body has sagged or been in an acident if they dont fit.

buy a monte carlo bar (goes from fenderwell to fenderwell. mines never been wrecked( as far as i know) and i had to use a little persuasion to get it in there.

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
Here she is! I'm on my way to bed but tomorrow I'll be posting up some of my plans for her! I am going to go with YearOne parts because I can't find a single bad thing about them for fitment and shit, and their competitive with the other companies.

dsc00137bi6.jpg

dsc00130gu3.jpg

dsc00131dz7.jpg

dsc00135vv0.jpg

Background story: I had been looking for a 67-68 Mustang for a project car, and on a local forum I found a guy from Ooltewah, Tennessee selling his son's former project car (14 year old with no interest in cars). It was $750 and in rooooooough shape, but for the price it was a steal. I jumped on it as quickly as possible because I knew for $750 it would be snatched up for someone else's project.

We drove from Knoxville to Ooltewah at 5 a.m. and got back by 9:30 a.m.. I had to be at work at 10:30 a.m. so we had to leave early! Since I only work part time, and I am a college student, money and time are slow to come on this project, but I will update as I go!

Users who are viewing this thread