Report on a car controversy

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
One of my close friends is having to write an informative speech on a controversial(sp?) issue for a communication class he is taking as part of his continuing education at the U of A. He was told to write it about something that interests him, so naturally his mind went to cars. He asked me if I knew of anycontroversies within the auto industry, but I couldn't think of any besides rice(I guess it's kind of controversial) but I don't think that would get him too good of a grade.

Any ideas?

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by RSXFMCJWR
One of my close friends is having to write an informative speech on a controversial(sp?) issue for a communication class he is taking as part of his continuing education at the U of A. He was told to write it about something that interests him, so naturally his mind went to cars. He asked me if I knew of anycontroversies within the auto industry, but I couldn't think of any besides rice(I guess it's kind of controversial) but I don't think that would get him too good of a grade.

Any ideas?
car dealerships or salesmen:shrug:

UNSANE

Established Member
Would the way car companies use to under-rate HP/TQ ratings in the 60's/early 70's and even today be an example of controversy? :shrug:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Firestone! Is it Ford's fault that moms panic when a tire blows??? Car and Driver... oh sorry, Car and Yuppie Bastard did a test and concluded the Explorer to be safe.

ssssnake

Established Member
How about the horsepower wars? Manufacturers are making them with more and more hp, buyers want more, but insurance companies don't and the police don't. And the effect of "Fast and Furious" and its type of movies that glorify it and make kids think they ALL can be fast and race. Maybe?

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
I just thought of a very good idea that I could suggest to him.:idea: It's a combination of ssssnake's and bbp42d's ideas. He could do a report on how car manufactures(such as ford, mitsubishi, and others) are marketing cars by showing them racing and focusing on the power and speed of the cars, yet they are voiding warranties and such when people use them for those purposes. I will also tell him about Sinister Angel's and SNK BITN's ideas. The controversial issues have to be current, so the firestone thing cannot be used.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I will tell my friend that now he had better show us ford drivers some respect(he drives a riced-out integra).:nonono:

Also, keep the ideas coming because he needs to turn in multiple ideas to his professor.

Last edited:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Yeah right about the Crown Vic exploding. Some Police have had a couple of them go up in flames. Is that the wrong thing to say?

Users who are viewing this thread