Report on 40K mile termie - 31K with KB at 17# + new dyno#s

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
My love affair with my terminator is renewed.

As the title states, it has 40K miles and ~31K with a Kenne Bell 2.2 at 17#. We put it on the dyno today and on 91 octane it put down 591 rwhp and 560 rwtq Furthermore, it did this in 95 degree weather with the sun beating down on it. Greg@RET had to do some minor tweaking to the tune, but otherwise, nothing major from his previous tune (which went unchanged for 3 years).

The increase in torque is probably due to my Fidanza flywheel and DFX clutch.

I've had this car since brand new. I had to have the clutch and flywheel replaced, tranny rebuilt, the rear diff leaks slightly (ever since the IRS brace went on), the KB needed a rebuild and I had the brakes done. And I don't baby it - esp. since I got the ZO6, its pretty much a near-daily driven road whore. It was a garage queen for a while, but that's a waste.:rolling:

But what really impresses me is how well this stock block motor has held up to high boost thrashing. Ford built a good one for me - and us. Thankfully, I have a great mechanic/tuner - Greg@RET - who really dialed it in nicely. My car owes him a tremendous debt of gratitude:rockon: Now I need to change the numbers in my sig.:lol1:

I'm glad I've kept this car.:) It's getting a full detail this weekend:coolman:

Common

Established Member
Awesome and bad at the same time.

Good for you but bad for me, that only nudges me to spend the money and mod the piss out of my car.

Gratz on the numbers, still running strong.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Nice numbers! Greg sounds like he is the "Go To" tuner down there. Lol. Nothing but praise from all of his work. It's good to hear. I'm sure he's earned a bunch of loyal customers from you SoCal guys.

So, what was the reason to get retuned?

Also, It has been established before that 15PSI was the safe limit on 91 Octane. But I've been seeing more and more guys running 17PSI on 91 Octane.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
Nice numbers! Greg sounds like he is the "Go To" tuner down there. Lol. Nothing but praise from all of his work. It's good to hear. I'm sure he's earned a bunch of loyal customers from you SoCal guys.

So, what was the reason to get retuned?

Also, It has been established before that 15PSI was the safe limit on 91 Octane. But I've been seeing more and more guys running 17PSI on 91 Octane.

The retune was done because the blower was rebuilt - we didn't intend to actually retune it, but just to check on things to make sure everything was OK. Turned out it was slightly rich so Greg made a few adjustments.

Obviously less boost means less risk, but my car seems to be doing OK. One caveat - I don't have a "real" boost guage and I've never checked actual boost. I just have the KB 3in upper and stock lower pulley which is supposed to put out 17#.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
your car leaked AFTER the rear brace? Congrats on the car man....put some pictures up!

Yeah - I think the guy that put it on didn't really do it right. But its a small leak and I keep an eye on it. I don't think its the fault of the brace. Here's a pic for ya:
IMGP0051.gif

04CobraMatt

Established Member
your car leaked AFTER the rear brace? Congrats on the car man....put some pictures up!

not the first time i hear that. Its usualy good to remove the diff cover and re-seal it while installing the new brace at the same time.

Screwing on a brace to a sealed cover can crack silicon seal.

threads like this put my mind at ease for DD the crap out of my car!!! :D

Last edited:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
The retune was done because the blower was rebuilt - we didn't intend to actually retune it, but just to check on things to make sure everything was OK. Turned out it was slightly rich so Greg made a few adjustments.

Obviously less boost means less risk, but my car seems to be doing OK. One caveat - I don't have a "real" boost guage and I've never checked actual boost. I just have the KB 3in upper and stock lower pulley which is supposed to put out 17#.

Getting back up on the dyno and checking on everything was a good idea. I bet you sure as hell can feel the extra TQ he got out of it.

Anyway, nice numbers again bro. Sounds like you drive the car how it's meant to be driven.

:rockon:

gnxs

Established Member
My love affair with my terminator is renewed.

As the title states, it has 40K miles and ~31K with a Kenne Bell 2.2 at 17#. We put it on the dyno today and on 91 octane it put down 591 rwhp and 560 rwtq Furthermore, it did this in 95 degree weather with the sun beating down on it. Greg@RET had to do some minor tweaking to the tune, but otherwise, nothing major from his previous tune (which went unchanged for 3 years).

The increase in torque is probably due to my Fidanza flywheel and DFX clutch.

I've had this car since brand new. I had to have the clutch and flywheel replaced, tranny rebuilt, the rear diff leaks slightly (ever since the IRS brace went on), the KB needed a rebuild and I had the brakes done. And I don't baby it - esp. since I got the ZO6, its pretty much a near-daily driven road whore. It was a garage queen for a while, but that's a waste.:rolling:

But what really impresses me is how well this stock block motor has held up to high boost thrashing. Ford built a good one for me - and us. Thankfully, I have a great mechanic/tuner - Greg@RET - who really dialed it in nicely. My car owes him a tremendous debt of gratitude:rockon: Now I need to change the numbers in my sig.:lol1:

I'm glad I've kept this car.:) It's getting a full detail this weekend:coolman:
Ironically, I made a very similar post a day or two ago on my car (90,000+ miles / new best ET):

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95977

These cars/engines are truly amazing! :rockon:

Last edited:

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
not the first time i hear that. Its usualy good to remove the diff cover and re-seal it while installing the new brace at the same time.

Screwing on a brace to a sealed cover can crack silicon seal.

threads like this put my mind at ease for DD the crap out of my car!!! :D

:rockon: Greg told me the same thing about the rear diff cover.

And yes, its a torque king! When I saw that tq reading, I was like "Dammnnn!"

BTW, those are SAE #s:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread