Replica wheels (brand name)

cdh027

Established Member
I've seen the problems we are experiancing with the AFS 17x10.5. Has anybody tried these yet ? They are sold at tires.com for about the same price as AFS, Just wondering if they have a better backspacing ?

FKing1

Established Member
What are problems with AFS? Is it only the 17" or 18" too? I am thinking about a set of AFS 18x9.5 & 18x10.5
Fred K.

kaos

Established Member
I'm wondering the same thing too. I have credit there, but I'm afraid to pull the trigger.

I'm just more worried with quality than anything else.

Wightmn

Established Member
Backspacing looks like 27mm, just like the AFS wheels. Wish someone would pull things together and produce a wheel with the right backspace.

akaeric

Established Member
I got a set of chrome replica wheels from O.E. Concepts for the rear I got 17x10.5 offset 27mm hub 70.8 I'm trying to figure out what tire size I can get away with with out having to deal with those bolts I know 315's are to wide and I'm not looking for drag radials I'm just looking for a wider profile look in the rear I think I can go with 285s. The rep at O.E Concepts said its the right off set and I want have rubbing problems. 27 mm should be a good offset unless you are putting 315 drag radials. All you have to do is replace that back bolt with a flat head bolt which I think would make a better looking job than grounding them. Anyway I got a full set of four wheels for a good price the fronts are same as stock and they match my stock wheels that I only need to replace the back wheels except I'll have to get differant tires so I will have to replace the fronts to match. Theses wheels are so close to the factory ones that they are the only ones that the SVT center button will fit into. Because they just don't fit in any wheel I tried that with a set of Saleen's wheels and it don't work.

cdh027

Established Member
Originally posted by FKing1
What are problems with AFS? Is it only the 17" or 18" too? I am thinking about a set of AFS 18x9.5 & 18x10.5
Fred K.

The problem is that if you want a tire that fits the 10.5" rim, it will hit the IRS bolt.

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
The problem is that if you want a tire that fits the 10.5" rim, it will hit the IRS bolt.

Not true. Running Kumho 295-35-18 on AFS 10.5 wheels and have no problems. No spacers, no interference with IRS mount bolt. There isn't a whole lot of space between the tire and the bolt, but it doesn't rub with the suspension at full extension.

You will find that even if tires have the same numeric size, some brands run bigger then others. Nitto's for example run slightly smaller and people have no problem with 315-35-17's from them where other manufacturers 315's rub.

cdh027

Established Member
Steve, the problem I have with buying the 17"x10.5" wheels and then mounting 315 Nitto's on them is they are not much wider than the stock tires. I think there is like a 3/4 inch difference in width, hardly worth the fuss.

missile man

Established Member
Thanks Steve, Got them and they are on. I am pretty happy with them. Still waiting for them to settle. Am trying to justify the AFS 18 chromies. I will have to use birthday and promotion points for them. LOL.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
This is just a theory...but I'm guessing that all of these 10.5" replica wheels are coming out of the same factory somewhere in China. They all have the same 27mm backspacing.

AFS wheels are made in China. I bet these other wheels are, too.

-Greg

cdh027

Established Member
I know I posted this on another thread, but I'm hoping someone with knowledge of 315 Nitto's will see this.

"I've heard that the 315 Nitto's will fit the 10.5" rim without spacers or shaving the bolt. Do you know if this is true ? Also, how much wider is the 315 Nitto's on a 10.5" compared to the stock 275's on the stock 9" ? I did some research and I think the width of the tires on the stock wheels is 10.6". I think the Nitto's on the 10.5" wheel are 12.1" wide."

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
315 Nittos will fit on AFS 10.5" wheels without having to use wheel spacers...because they aren't really that wide of a tire (compared to other 315s).

With Nitto 315s and 10.5" wheels, you don't absolutely HAVE to shave the bolt head. It will only contact the sidewall of the tire when the rear suspension is completely unloaded. That's not likely to happen while driving, but it IS possible and your tire could be damaged if it happens. Some people don't modify the bolt head. They just slip a piece of sheet metal between the tire and IRS bolt whenever they put the car on a lift. Grinding .25" off the bolt head is not a big deal, and is highly recommended...even if you don't plan on doing a lot of Bo & Luke Duke creek jumping. :-D

A 315 Nitto on a 10.5" rim has a section width of about 11.75 inches. Stock F1's on stock wheels have a section width of 10.5 inches.

My BFG 285s on 10.5" wheels have about the same section width as Nitto 315s. Check out these PICS to see them side-by-side with a stock F1.

-Greg

cdh027

Established Member
Thanks for the info Greg. I now have another tire option for the 10.5's. I still might go with the Nitto's simply because of the slightly better traction. Has this whole "button head" bolt thing been resolved ? Meaning, is there one available with the proper strength ?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by cdh027
Has this whole "button head" bolt thing been resolved ? Meaning, is there one available with the proper strength ?
I think the consensus is this: Forget about changing to non-OEM bolts. Simply remove some material from the stock bolt head and be done with it. It's a free modification...It doesn't weaken the bolt (as long as you don't take too much off)...and there's no debate about the strength characteristics of the bolt itself.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
I have a set of Kumhos 295/35/18 on the rear with AFS 18/10.5 and they fit fine..

Users who are viewing this thread