Replacing valve cover gaskets / top cowl cover replacement

shurur

Established Member
There is a shrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail. It is under the tire valve cap looking thing. It is used to take pressure off the fuel lines or attach a pressure gauge to.

The fuel line is removed with a fuel line/AC line removal tool.
You can get various kinds at advance auto, autozone or o'reillys.

There are also circle type removal tools that clamp around and you use your whole hand to get behind them. Those work better IMO.

Last edited:

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
Thanks guys for the tips on the tools and video.

Taking off the gas cap is enough to relieve the pressure in the lines, or is there another area where to relieve the pressure?

MG0h3

Established Member
Thanks guys for the tips on the tools and video.

Taking off the gas cap is enough to relieve the pressure in the lines, or is there another area where to relieve the pressure?

Nope. Gas cap has nothing to do with it. There should be a black cap over a Schrader valve (looks like a valve stem). Use a rag to cover it and depress with a screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
While you are in there..there is a hose from the TB that goes into the passenger fender, and/or a vac hose going into the fender wheel-well purge valve (whatever) . it is a 3/8" rubber hose,

It probably is brittle, cracked and will blacken your hand. it is the "usual suspect" when you get a vac leak.

you should replace that (those) now..at the least...

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
While you are in there..there is a hose from the TB that goes into the passenger fender, and/or a vac hose going into the fender wheel-well purge valve (whatever) . it is a 3/8" rubber hose,

It probably is brittle, cracked and will blacken your hand. it is the "usual suspect" when you get a vac leak.

you should replace that (those) now..at the least...
Yeah I know which one you're talking about. Mine is done as well. It'll be getting replaced.

Last edited:

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
Success. But it was still a god damn struggle to weasel it out.

Attachments

• AB20545A-5064-4AFA-8C27-243C261D13B0.jpeg
    AB20545A-5064-4AFA-8C27-243C261D13B0.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 187

shurur

Established Member
Opportunity to paint the valve covers now...maybe upper intake..maybe lower intake and coolant bypass hose/alternator bracket...power steering reservoir bracket....and maybe do head cooling mod...

wkornf

Established Member
congrats I always had more trouble with the driver side. I believe I had to loosen up the motor mount nut and tilt it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
congrats I always had more trouble with the driver side. I believe I had to loosen up the motor mount nut and tilt it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
jesus christ, thanks for the motivation LMAO

believe it or not it looks like my trouble will be one cable and unmounting the dip stick with the driver's side vc.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
i'm back on this. couple of questions...

the two heater hoses on the right side firewall, that sit right up against the valve cover. is there enough fluid in them to justify a full drain from the radiator to replace both?

and i'm strongly thinking to remove the whole intake manifold to make life easier when i replace the valve covers. or has anyone found it much easier to just take off the coil pack brackets? to move the harness' out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread