Replacing the Rear Shocks

ludbg

Established Member
hey guys
i have an 03 GT with a 2001 IRS and i will be cutting the springs a little(1/3") sisnce i cant find just a rear pair of H&R ss to match my fronts and wanted to change the shocks since 1 is out and i dont know what to get.
what brand are the original shocks?
bilsteins 03-04 are out of my budget
Tokico hp are $60 a piece
kyb gr-2 are $60 a piece
and stock shocks from Tousley are 35 a piece
which ones perform the best? what spring rates are recomended

ludbg

Established Member
i just posted a wtb ad
so would you say that the bilsteins are far better than all others even used in what aspect performance or durability
do they also last longer on a dropped car?

Last edited:

ludbg

Established Member
well

local guy selling some used Koni yellow sport for 220$ all 4
8742-1122 front
8041-1270 rear
adjustable?
should i go ahead and buy them or are bilsteins better because he said hes replacing them for bilsteins wtf?

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
I have a set of 03/04 cobra shocks/struts that I will let go. I also have a pair of QA1 single adjustable rear shocks that I will be getting rid of. Pm me your email and questions and I'll send you some pics.

Azsnake

Established Member
well

local guy selling some used Koni yellow sport for 220$ all 4
8742-1122 front
8041-1270 rear
adjustable?
should i go ahead and buy them or are bilsteins better because he said hes replacing them for bilsteins wtf?

Koni yellows are a good shock/strut and thats a good price. Just depends on how many miles are on them.

ludbg

Established Member
Koni yellows are a good shock/strut and thats a good price. Just depends on how many miles are on them.

the cobra he took them off has 9k miles and he said he doesnt know when they were installed so 9k miles max

so ive decided i'm buying shocks tomorow and i need to make a decision between bilstein and koni

help is appreciated!

Bilsteins or Koni's????

-bilsteins have 20-25k miles
-koni less than 9k miles
-none will have warranty since they are bought used
-i like stiffer ride but my girlfriend gets annoyed so i would want them soft sometimes too for trips and such so thats where the adjustability of the konis is a big plus
-i dont do autocross but i go to the track sometimes and adjustability comes as a plus too because stiffer shocks help with wheel hop

-reliability-wise ive heard the bilsteins are better and rebuilding them is cheaper

:)))

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
cant beat 4 konis for $220. I would go that route. If that falls through Bilsteins are a great option and are usually less expensive slightly used than konis

SilverNotch

Established Member
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm going to be doing all the suspension soon. I have steeda sport springs right now. So I'm going to do Bruce's ftbr kit and also, a billet flow brace, griggs racing subframes, a bumpsteer, and also shocks/struts. What would be a good shock strut thats performance and not too expensive. I was looking for used 03/04 cobra bilsteins but, 300+ for all for seems excessive for almost 10 year old used shocks and struts. So any suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread