Replacing Rear Diff Fluid???

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
I've got a leaky rear diff on my 03. and I REALLY dont want to drop the whole center section to replace the gasket on the cover and install a diff brace.

I know you can install the diff brace without removing the differential center, but is it possible to removed the diff cover and replace the gasket/seal without dropping it?

Also, Any recommendations on fluid, how much of it, and any friction modifier?

Thanks in advance.

98Rsnake

Grease Monkey
Established Member
i did a diff cover re seal (silicone) in my friends 03 without removing the rear diff from the car. it is hard but not impossible. it takes 2 quarts of synthetic 75w 140 and 4 or 8 oz of friction modifier (i cant remember which)

Cobra046

Established Member
I just drilled the bottom of my diff about 1 3/4 inch in from cover for an 1/8 inch pipe plug and it works great. It was drilled during a gear change but drilling it full of fluid would keep chips out of the housing.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
First its not a gasket its rtv silicone and if you don't drop the diff then you are going to have a bitch of a time resealing. I just changed my bushings and did my diff seal and dropped the whole IRS. Trust me it is much easier to just drop the IRS I did this by myself even put it in by myself. Here is what I did removing the IRS it is simple you have to remove the catback and remove the calipers and the e-brake cable and the ABS sensor from both sides of the diff then unhook it from the IRS frame remove lower shock bolt. Take out the 4 bolts that hold the driveshaft to the diff mark where diff and driveshaft bolt up they are balanced from the factory if you don't just look for the yellow dots one on the pinion and one on the driveshaft and get them as close together as possible. Now remove the four bolts that hold the IRS inplace. use a jack to lower the IRS it will or should not just fall out you may have to wack it a few times with a mallet then lower it and pull it out. Take out the halfshafts and remove the diff reseal with grey rtv let cure for 24 hrs. add the fluid and friction modifier and for god sake put on a diff brace if you do not get real good at removing the diff because it will leak again. The tq causes the cover to flex and the seal breaks then the fluid works through. This is a basic how to postban has a detailed write up on how to drop an IRS here---->http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231900

Last edited:

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
You said the Diff removal is simple. LOL

Anyway, thanks guys!

Yeah, when i get to re-sealing the diff, its getting a brace. no doubt about it.

And, I think im going to leave the IRS in place, if it takes me all damn day to do it without dropping the IRS, then ill be happy. I dont wanna get into the mess of torqueing things, and making it all line up... etc It may be easier to work on the diff with the IRS out, but i dont trust myself dropping the IRS, let alone a shop, or dealer :x

I've done a few solid axle stangs with leaky diffs, and yes, i know, its a solid axle. yada yada haha, but I know how things can be a bitch (bbk header install)...

Thanks again for the info, I just wanted to see if it was possible to do it without droppin the IRS, and I guess it is :)

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i dont understand why you would take all day to wrestle with the diff housing when dropping the irs is way faster and easier....pennywise, pound-foolish.

which part dont you trust yourself with - the removal of nuts and bolts, or the operation of a hydraulic jack?

03SonicStang

Established Member
I have to agree; we droped my IRS Pumpkin (Thanks again my MCT Brothers:rockon: ), not the whole IRS and it really was pretty easy. I would do it again myself, but after Doug re-sealed my Diff it will never leak again. Make sure you clean the hell out of the diff and cover. If you need any pointers please feel free to PM me Tom

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i dont understand why you would take all day to wrestle with the diff housing when dropping the irs is way faster and easier....pennywise, pound-foolish.

which part dont you trust yourself with - the removal of nuts and bolts, or the operation of a hydraulic jack?

Oh, that last part was kinda insulting! lol

To be honest, I dont know, I just dont want to drop it. I dont have a torque wrench, (figure that one out) I guess I dont wanna deal with taking everything apart. I feel its a Pain in the ass, but i've never done it before.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Yeah the exhaust is a PITA to get back in when your on your back and alone.

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
+1 on letting the RTV cure for 24 hours. I did just that and I did not have any problems. When dealerships re-seal, they probably don't wait 24 hours. This is why the best thing to do is for you to re-seal the differential yourself.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
eddy@naples said:
can some one help me guide on how to remove my irs diff cover

Thats what were kinda discussing here. Read thru, and click on the links provided by the guys near the top.

Ill probably be removing my diff from the IRS to do the fluid swap.

Charles236

Established Member
I'm with ShelbyGuy on the exhaust and the pinion brace, everything else is straightforward disassembly and reassembly. I have an FR500 exhaust, so I get to wrestle with twice as much weight and line up both tips at the same time. While you have it apart, it would be a good idea to go ahead and drill and tap the bottom of the pumpkin for a drain plug if you want to be able to service the fluid without fooling with pumping it out through the fill plug.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
I've got the bassani exhaust, i hope it comes off easy, I cant see jack squat with it in place haha

Once i change the fluid, it will be fine for a while. I should Drill-Tap, but ill mess it up, I tapped my diesel's manifold for a Pyro and messed it up, somehow it works...

You guys prefer any type of fluid, i know the 75-140 Synth. But any recommendations on Brand? Or just whatever suits my fancy? If thats the case, ill do Royal Purple.

Users who are viewing this thread