Replacing positive battery cable

IA-SteveB

Established Member
I ordered a new positive battery cable from Rock Auto for my 96 Cobra. The original cable had a rounded off terminal years ago so I cut it off and replaced it with a brass terminal. I always had problems with the positive terminal corroding so I decided to replace it all since it would likely be too short if I hacked off the terminal and replaced it again. When the new cable arrived, I noticed that it might be a gauge smaller than the original. It is a Standard Motor Products A624TB. Any problems using a replacement cable that is a tad smaller? It is specified for the Cobra on more than one site.

It looks like this is going to be kind of a pain. I'm almost certain that the old conduit will break apart from age/heat so I bought some of that so I could just replace it since I am under there anyway. Kind of curious how hard it will be to get the nut off of the starter to get the old cable off and install the new one?

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I have no experience with the cable that you have, and to be honest, I haven't done a battery cable swap on a 96 cobra. I have done one on my 03 cobra however.

First, I wouldn't use a cable that is smaller, but in all honestly, it probably won't matter. The short run from the battery to the distribution block helps here. The longer run that goes to the starter is where a potential issue would arise. Again, without testing it, I can't say for sure that you'll have problems. You probably won't though.

I am not sure how handy you are, but removing the OEM battery cable can be a pain. When I did it (03 cobra), I removed the entire harness. It includes the positive cable, ground cable, alternator charge wire, and the oil pressure switch wire. Disconnecting the power wire from the starter was easy. There is a bolt/clamp that holds the harness to the passenger side of the engine block that needs removed. Also a few clamps that route the harness up towards the battery. Once those are off, it all pulls out.

Once it's out of the car, cut the electrical tape off of the loom, and open it up. I pulled took a few photos then pulled all of the wires out. I laid in a new cable, taped it up as OEM, then stuck it all back in the loom. After that, I just put it back in the way I took it out.

Note: I have an 03 cobra with a tubular K-member. The K-member probably aids in gaining access to the bolts that hold the harness on the engine block, so make sure you look over what you have and have a plan before starting.

IA-SteveB

Established Member
It does seem like removing the harness is the way to go. I tried making my way down the conduit but the wires were taped together with 22 year old tape every few inches making it an extreme PITA. I left it alone for the night and I will just go the route you did. That will make it easier to replace the conduit with new anyway.

Thanks!

smashedheadcat

Established Member
If you want your positive wire in the loom, you have to remove the harness. The clamps that mount to the engine are pinched pretty tight, so it would be rather tough to squeeze a new wire in there (provided you were able to rip the original out).

Users who are viewing this thread