Replacing my stolen cobra.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
As many of you on here know, my cobra was stolen from my apartment last wed. As of this time, the police have not found her, and insurance is going to go ahead and pay out on the loss. I was thinking of getting out of the performance car world for a few years, and buying a bike instead. Most of my travel consists of just driving to work and home, with a couple of nights of eating out or something else non important. For situations where i need a car, i have jeep that i used as a winter car, and can be used in the rain, snow, whatever days the bike cant.

What im looking at is either a 2001 Ducati 996S with a little over 5k miles, or a 2003 Ducati 748. What would you go with?

What i hope to accomplish with buying the bike is to save enough cash over the next year or so to build a really nasty fast cobra. Id like to buy another 03/04 next year and go straight into making a ~600 hp monster.

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
Again sorry to her about the car. Bikes are always cool and you might have the right idea to step away for a little. Sometime you just get bored with a car and want something different but, I see alot of people that get ride of there Cobra's out there buying another a few months later. So I would make sure you don't want another one right now.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
That blows man, sorry to hear it. Go with whatever you want, bikes are fun and saving up cash for a new Cobra will be worth it. Good luck.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If you wanted to I'd go ahead and find a pristine Cobra now while the market is good. Prices are down now too and you can still find very low mileage cars.

Good luck, sorry for your loss. I hate thieves.

PONY MAN

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your loss & gald to hear about your compensation.
Bikes are cool, just have a nice, safe place to park it.
Thieves suck !!!

CobraG

Established Member
How about a truck or something like that, a cheaper truck and then a little later get a bike too.
Sorry to hear about someone stealing your Cobra, that sucks.

99GTvert

Established Member
1st bike-748 or even a smaller cc jap bike or get a new 749
some riding experience-get the 996 or save up a little more and buy a 999

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
sorry to hear about your loss. good luck with finding a bike and dont forget about that cobra a few years down the road.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
996 unless you're new to the bike world. I'd go for a Triumph TT to learn. Suspension is awesome and not tooooo fast to where you'll kill yourself.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
I say go back with another car, because you would more than likely miss having one after you got the bike.

Also, if your car was stolen from your apartment parking lot, don't you think it would be easier for them to steal the bike as well? Just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
drive a beater pickup untill you move and get into a house. Or just rent a house with a garage if you can and get another cobra. I know all about apartment living and nice cars. It's a bad combination.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
As for riding experience, i started riding motorcycles when i was 14. Both my parents, and most of my extended family ride motorcycles, so they basically made me learn. Ive ridden all sorts of harleys, and 2 ducatis(a 748 and a 900SS).

On the topic of parking safety at my apartment, the bike would be in my locked storage area downstairs, and double chained to a steel supporting pole. In other words, ALOT more secure than the car was. Hell, even if i was to get another car id chain it to something.

Dont get me wrong, i LOVED my cobra, and i still think theyre some of the most fantastic cars on the planet, but i just dont know how i feel about another one right yet. In a year or two i WILL have another though, and i will build it to be a monster.

merfsiu

Established Member
The maintenance on ducs is pretty expensive, frequent and unforgiving. I wouldnt recommend either bike as a Daily commuter. If you want a garage queen to rub with a diaper on the weekends the duc is the bike for you. If this is your first bike and you really want a twin, go with a sv650. If you want a fun sportbike that will commute well and start everytime, go with any newer 600.

Edit: Looks like you have some experience. IMO The best sportbike is the gsxr750, best of both worlds.

Out of the two bikes you listed, def. the 996. The newer ducs look like ass.

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I dont know anything about bikes, but I think if you are sure you're not going to miss the Cobra, then waiting till next year may be the right move. See what the GT500 market does to the 03/04 Cobra's. You can bet that there will be an abundance of 03/04's traded in on the GT500. Maybe a very low milage, stock version some old guy (older than me) has, that he trades up on.
Good luck.......

CSD

Banned
Man I would be pissed as all hell if someone stole my Mach. I feel sorry for you bud, that sucks :nonono: I would get another Cobra though IMO

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
I only had whatever came from the factory as far as alarms or whatnot goes. Its always in retrospect that you think about having something "more".

As i said before, i will be buying another cobra when the time is right. At this moment, the time is not right. I think ive settled on the 996S.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
i love ducatis!
the 996s is a gorgeous bike
my cousin has owned both a 2001 748S monoposto and before that, a 1999 900SS
loves them both
he's buying a new ducati soon, one that's a work of art, looks like what they used to build 30 years ago

Users who are viewing this thread