Replacing my blower pulley, any installation tips?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I decided to break down and get a pulley. Figured I would go with a non aluminum one for now and do other potential idler pulleys and or non slip aluminum pulleys later.

I'm adding a 2.80 pulley boys pulley this week. I already have their puller. Any tips on making it easier to pull off stock one and install new one?

I'm hoping to break into the 500 RWHP mark. We shall see how much belt slippage I get.

OverToad

Established Member
We learned. TONS of anti-seize. It's cheap, and it's a part of the install that you don't want to shortcut.

Second, get help. It's doable, but would be quite a pain to do by yourself.

And you said nothing about a chip...........?

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Get a friend to help you out. It can be a real pain just getting the pulley to budge that first fraction of an inch.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Overtoad,

I already have an autologic chip. I just need to have it programmed.

Any of you guys ever own a 94/95? I am wondering out loud how it compares to pulling and installing the power steering pump pulley. I have done that a few times. That one takes some muscle.

OverToad

Established Member
It's not so much that it takes more muscle than you've got, but rather it's an akward job by yourself.

It really would benefit you to have an extra set of hands there, just to make sure you are setting the new pulley on straight, and not stressing your blower snout.

03DOHC

Established Member
1) Get a friend to hold the breaker bar to prevent it from turning.

2) Let the car cool overnight. Remove the pulley with everything cold.

3) Use liberal amounts of anti-seize.

4) Post your results.:beer:

:-D

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
As others have mentioned, do not be frugal with the anti-seize...
Your a big guy, Kev. If I can do it solo, so can you...
Patience is the key...

finally

Established Member
I laid a 3ft 2x4 from the left side camber plate to the front of the car and let the breaker bar rest on it. Did the swap like this by myself, first time, in under 45min. The anti-sieze does help.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
like it was mentioned before, be patient and take your time. Also, some cars pulleys come off easier than others so even though some people may have been able to do it quickly, others will have to take a while.

mosconiac

Established Member
Why not go with a lower pulley and forgo the slip issues (alternator overspeed is easily fixed)?

Adding a smaller pulley up top, then adding a series of idlers and ultra tight belt to counter belt slip seems to negate the cost/labor benefits of the upper pulley to me.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Well, all you really need is one billetflow/metco idler to give the pulley more belt wrap. I think the reason people go with the upper is just because of how easy it is compared to the lower install. Also, the results seem to be about the same between the upper and lower (unless you do both)

ObieFox

Established Member
I'm going the 6lb lower pulley route. The install should take less than 2 hours. Benefits: no chance of hurting your shaft (we all know how painful that can be), no belt slip, nice stealth look without idlers etc..

My 2 cents,
KO

trey193

Established Member
Does the antiseize help the new pulley go on that much better or are U talking about putting it on there if you ever have to take it back off???

Users who are viewing this thread