Replacing Kenne Bell Spyder Coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Replacing the spyder coupler in a 2.3 Kenne Bell, going from the older black one to the newest green one in this case. The green one fits tighter and eliminates the rattle that may exist.

With the addition of bigger cams the KB developed a rattling at idle which was intensified soundwise when I added the JLP plenum not long ago. It goes away with increased RPM's. When I ordered a new boost actuator from James at KB I also got a new spyder coupler. I got this KB used with @5K on it and I've put another 10K on it since. I just replaced it and took some pics.

I placed a plastic bag under the snout and a towel on top of that to catch the oil from the snout. I only removed the F2B intake and throttle cable bracket to gain access.
spydercouplervy8.jpg

Once off I checked the condition of the old spyder coupler (which is black) as well as the coupler bosses and especially the drive gears.

spydercoupler2qu4.jpg

The old black coupler looked fine as did the bosses and gears-GOOD NEWS!
spydercoupler9ui6.jpg

spydercoupler3sc2.jpg

There is no seal between the snout and gearplate from the factory and I didn't use any sealant for reassembly and all was fine.
spydercoupler4oq0.jpg

spydercoupler5or3.jpg

The difference between the old black coupler and the newer green ones is clearance. The green one fits much tighter and thus all but eliminates any backlash and thus the rattling noise.
spydercoupler7jb3.jpg

spydercoupler8cu8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread