Replacing heads

jony51999

Established Member
I’m going to be helping a buddy install a set of heads he picked up from a running car. The prior owner landed a set of ported heads for a steal so he offered these to my buddy whose car had a little head tick. If both engines ran fine and never overheated can we just install new MLS gaskets (fel-pro) after cleaning the block and head surface without having them resurfaced? I guess I should add that his car has a Teksid block with head studs in it from the prior owners build, so it’s aluminum head and block.

We used to clean up the iron blocks with an air tool/gasket surface pad and reinstall aluminum heads all the time without resurfacing but I know these aluminum on aluminum newer engines are more temperamental so I wanted to ask opinions before doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shamwoww88

Established Member
I’m going to be helping a buddy install a set of heads he picked up from a running car. The prior owner landed a set of ported heads for a steal so he offered these to my buddy whose car had a little head tick. If both engines ran fine and never overheated can we just install new MLS gaskets (fel-pro) after cleaning the block and head surface without having them resurfaced? I guess I should add that his car has a Teksid block with head studs in it from the prior owners build, so it’s aluminum head and block.

We used to clean up the iron blocks with an air tool/gasket surface pad and reinstall aluminum heads all the time without resurfacing but I know these aluminum on aluminum newer engines are more temperamental so I wanted to ask opinions before doing so.

I'm new to the cobra community but not new to cars. I've done a lot of imports before I got this thing to play with. I would recommend at least having the heads checked out at a machine shop before you install. Not only for warpage in case they need to be milled but cracks. We all beat on these cars, and amazingly these cars have seemed to survive with big problems without people really noticing until it's blatant. And I'm a strong believer in doing things once lol. But if you check the warpage on it with a precision straight edge and they're within spec your probably be good to.

jony51999

Established Member
I'm new to the cobra community but not new to cars. I've done a lot of imports before I got this thing to play with. I would recommend at least having the heads checked out at a machine shop before you install. Not only for warpage in case they need to be milled but cracks. We all beat on these cars, and amazingly these cars have seemed to survive with big problems without people really noticing until it's blatant. And I'm a strong believer in doing things once lol. But if you check the warpage on it with a precision straight edge and they're within spec your probably be good to.

That was the approach I was hoping to take. The guy he bought them from is a straight shooter with a good rep so we figure his word is good as long as it is flat as you said.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
FWIW, we put a set of c heads on my buddies wap block motor without decking them and it’s been fine. Only 500hp right now but it’s been some mean miles. And they were out of a healthy 70k mike running vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread