Replacing front inner tie rod ends question

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I had my car on the frame lift to put on new tires and I noticed that my wheels had a little bit of play in them. After taking a look I discovered my inner tie rod joints that attach to the steering rack are loose. These are the joints that are covered by the boot on the two ends of the steering rack. I ordered a new set from Ford along with a new set of steering stops. My question is has anyone replaced these two items and is it that difficult and do I need any special tools to do the work or should I have a mechanic do it.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I've replaced the inner tie rod ends on an Ford Aerostar. If they're similar, they're a piece of cake. I "rented" a tool at O'Reilly's that is like a really long socket.

There is a rivet that prevents the inner tie rod end from unscrewing from the end of the rack. Either you can drill them out first or just break them when you remove the inner tie rod end (that's what was recommended to me). Take off the outer tie rod ends and slip the "socket" onto the tie rod. Unscrew the inner tie rod end from the end of the rack.

Remove any remnants of the rivets from the end of the rack and screw on the new inner tie rod ends. Line up the hole and put new rivets back on.

Reattach (or attach new) outer tie rod ends. (Replace dust covers if they're damaged).

Try to get toe close to zero for the drive to the alignment shop.

This was one job that I actually beat the amount of labor (time) listed in the books that the shops base their charges on. Usually I have to multiply by 2 or 3 to get how much time it'll take me.

I even talked to one shop that added the labor time for inner and outer tie rods together. When I told them I should only be charged for the inner tie rod replacement since the first step is "remove outer tie rod ends" they just said that's the way they do it. So I did it myself!

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I picked up the parts today and they look simple enough. I never have to worry about the outer tie rod ends cause I have a Griggs Racing GR40 kit which includes a bump steer kit with hiem joint tie rod ends. Anyway I think I will be able to tackle it with out too much difficulty but if anyone has done it on a mustang had any advise let me know. Otherwise I will probably get it done in a few weeks once I get a winter driver (I know Im way late this year)

Users who are viewing this thread