replacing alternator....

SVT1996Cobra

Established Member
hello,

i will be replacing my alternator on my 96 Cobra in the next few days and wanted to know if there was anything to look out for. Any tricks to it? Do i need to drain my coolant or can i do without removing the crossover tube? any tips would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Jason

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I replaced my friends alternator in his '97, we didn't need to drain the coolant to do so. Let me check out the workings tomorrow and I'll see what I can tell ya. I remember it being really easy to do.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Originally posted by SVT1996Cobra
it looks like just too bolts, but i wanted to double check with you guys.

BTW Mike, did you get the C&L?

Sorry....yea I got it on Fri....thanks man.

It is just 2 bolts that go on the bottom of the alternator. Can't remember if you have to take off the crossover tube or not, you may be able to just drain enough fluid to get the tube off so you don't have to drain the whole system.....burping these suckers is a BIATCH.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Originally posted by mustangdan429
burping these suckers is a biatch?!

whats that mean?

When you drain the coolant out of the engine and fill it back up there's a LOT of air still in the system. To burp the system:
1) AFTER you put new coolant in you need to run the car a bit, the temp guage will start to rise to HOT.
2) Shut the car off, open the radiator cap, pour more coolant in and repeat the whole process a few times till it doesn't start to run hot anymore.

It sucks. :(

I think that if you fill the coolant up by using the bypass tube you may not have to burp it, but I haven't tried it yet. :shrug:

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
If you fill the block FIRST thru the fill opening on the hard coolant pipe you usually dont even have to burp it at all.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
There are only 2 bolts holding it on. You don't have to remove the coolant tube, or the bolts for that matter. Hit the tensioner with a 3/8 ratchet and pop the belt off the water pump, then loosen the bolts at the bottom of the alternator (10mm), disconnect the single wire on the top (black w/red stripe), and disconnect the connector (top passenger side of alt). You'll have to pull the plug wires off the coil pack and fold them up over the intake. The alternator will slip through the coolant tube through the top.

shelbycobra

Established Member
alternator

i have took mine off a few times,to have it checked out and up grade it,you don't have to mees with the coolent tube,were the spark plug wires goes across the front,theres a brace were the alternator is,take the loose,and 2 at the bottom,i dont think i took both the bottem ones out,i think i just loosened the up,but be sure to take the battery cables off,because the nut at the top of the alternator,so it don't spark against anthing,but you do not have to mess with the coolent tube.

Users who are viewing this thread