Replacement Stereo Sounds Like Crap

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Stereo guys I need some help. A couple years ago I purchased and installed an Alpine head unit so I could listen to music from my IPOD. The stereo never sounded very good. It's like no power is running through the amps in back. I used the adapter that was recommended by Crutchfield to install the stereo. Is their a way to hook this unit up so it sounds good? I'm temped to put the factory stereo back in. Eventually I could replace everything, but I'd like to not spend the money if I don't have too.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Buy a 4ch alpine amp for your speakers and it will crispen it up lots, sound way better or you could change all the speakers out for better ones. I took my old amps out and have 2 aftermarket ones, one for speakers & one for sub.

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
Do you have the MACH stereo? If the RCA's arent hooked up right, it wont sound right. Is the stereo itself EQ's decently? Is there a "loud" function?

AMB

Established Member
Replacement Stereo

I have the same PROBLEM. I believe the problem is ths white 8 pin male adapter connector. It does'n hook up with the Ford female 8 pin harness connector CORRECTLY. I would not mate it up, WITH OUT bending the pins. The 8 pin Male Adapter Connector is TOO large and the 2 rows of 4 pins are TOO close together will not mate correctly. Chutchfield says to connect the White RCA plug to the subwoofer preamp output on the mew receiver. Mine Still does not sound like the front and rear low frequency speakers are working.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Which Alpine Model did you get?

I have the cheap CDA105 since my stock one crapped out (I'm saving up for a better unit). It sounded horrible till I started playing with the different Crossover frequencies. I can't remember which one I have it on now, but it sounds good (at least way better than it used to when first installed).

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
I took the RCA's from the Metra harness, put the white on in the stereo's front left, and the red one in the rear right. Dont ask, but it works. I think I remember reading that Ford's setup is mono-something, blah blah blah. I'm not an expert, but it works, I have my lows and highs. Then my sub in sub out. After some EQ'ing, some high pass filter adjusting, and fading adjustment, I got it to sound pretty damn good for a stock component setup still using factory amps.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Do you have the MACH stereo? If the RCA's arent hooked up right, it wont sound right. Is the stereo itself EQ's decently? Is there a "loud" function?

Yes it was the Mach 460. The new stereo is the Alpine CDA-9884. Great call on the loud function. I found the manual and realized, yes this was the problem. I adjusted the loudness function and got the bass I never have had before. I'm sure changing out the amps will someday happen, but much happier at the moment. Thanks guys.

Lance

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Good to hear! I just got mine tuned, by a professional. Soooooooo worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread